Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Hoplosternum thoracatum Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Hoplosternum thoracatum Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hoplosternum thoracatum

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Hoplosternum thoracatum Empty
PostSubject: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 pm

After BN's, these are my faves. As catfish they are very active and interact well with all in the community tank, apart from apple snails that is, as when we first got some of each from the same auction, we quarantined them together, and the next morning they had plucked them from their shells with so much as a hint of garlic lol! lol! lol!

We've always fancied spawning these but never tried as a local couple bred these very well and with great success and so didn't want to be stuck with fry we couldn't move on, we did bother. It seems now though that they no longer are breeding these and a couple of LFS have mentioned that if we bred them we could offload them all with them.

Well, we put them in a 30" tank 3 days ago, Wayne did the big water change today as they acting "different", well, they've only gone and spawned ain't they cheers cheers cheers cheers

I've managed to get a pic, and will try and upload all my pics tomorrow and have a mass splurge on posting them lol! lol! lol!

So, you have been warned :afro: Bom-chicka-wow-wow
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 12:57 am

I'll wait for the next post "when" we see some pix of the critter to pose my question Laughing
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 pm

No question now , a quick copy and paste reveals the answer ,
Hoplosternum thoracatum : aka Hoplo catfish
Kool fish , did you know in OZ only the females are illegal, apparently wholesalers and importers are meant to pick out the ones with the orange highlight on the pectoral fin.
There must be quite a few species that the OZ government really don't want multiplying and getting in our local waterways.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Any pics yet lol
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 11:41 pm

OK

We lost the eggs, they weren't viable, although the female had laid them, they weren't on a bubble nest, and we're guessing this is why we lost them Sad

Here are the eggs that were laid Hoplosternum thoracatum Th_hoploeggs

And here is a pic (Bad one lol) of the female Hoplosternum thoracatum Th_femalehoplo
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 am

A quick query , does the female have orange /red leading edges on the pectoral fins?
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:44 am

Kurosaki J wrote:
A quick query , does the female have orange /red leading edges on the pectoral fins?
cheers J

No, that is on the male, and the easiest way to tell the difference.

Went to check on them last night, and the female had laid eggs on a piece of piping and the male seemed to be trying to move them up to the bubble nest, but this morning I can't see them at all. Hopefully they are not yet visible through the bubbles.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 8:32 pm

A ha , there's the difference in sexes - the male has the highlight on the pectorals.
Good to hear that they spawned again , it shouldn't be to long before you baby Hoplo's swimming around-- keep us updated Angi.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:10 am

Kurosaki J wrote:
A ha , there's the difference in sexes - the male has the highlight on the pectorals.
Good to hear that they spawned again , it shouldn't be to long before you baby Hoplo's swimming around-- keep us updated Angi.
cheers J

Yep, the difference can be quite marked sometimes too .... some get really bright flashes.

Up date on the eggs, they are all in the bubble nest. Wayne lifted it to take a peek and the male went for him Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Most dads I know will have a go at you if you interfere with their kids lol!
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:03 am

Since my last post on the hoplo's they have spawned again another 3 times, and eaten the first 2 spawnings. Can't get close enough to see if they are actually fertilised or not. I'm seriously thinking of removing the nest this time and trying to artificially raise them.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:09 am

If they are spawning costantly for you I'm sure you'll figure it out in no time .
Here's some good JU-JU for you Angi Laughing
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hoplosternum thoracatum   Hoplosternum thoracatum Empty

Back to top Go down

Hoplosternum thoracatum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Tropical's and Marine Section :: Freshwater Talk-
Jump to: