Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ellie
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 88
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding Empty
PostSubject: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 am

Hi All Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Hope you had a good xmas.

My bn's have just produced the 5th batch of babies and now im overloaded big time. Im trying to grow them to an 1.5 inches so I my LFS will take them off me but they are producing them too fast.

Within days (less than a week) of the babies leaving the cave my male bn is back in there with more eggs.

The obvious would be to take the female out but I have no other tank for her thats suitable. The cave they use to spawn is one of them fake root thingys and has always been my male bn's home so I feel really bad about taking it out.

Just wondered if it was normal to produce them so quickly.
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm

You have to split the pair up, that is the only way to stop them breeding. With all those young you are going to need another tank to grow them on without stunting their growth, as this is a real worry if a tank is overstocked.

Sorry I couldn't give you an easier solution to your problem.

Angi
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Ellie
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 88
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Oh I have got another tank the babies are growing in.
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Phew Very Happy

Just move one of them in with the fry, they'll be fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Productive little buggers hey Ellie, like Angi said the only definate way to stop breeding is to seperate the pair
and either the male or the female will be fine in the grow out tank- I've never had a drama with parents attacking the youngins.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
skippy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 97
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 am

Unless you have endless spare tankspace then you want to separate them because as has been said, they multiply to the point they won't grow anymore.
Back to top Go down
roggledoggle
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Lady of leisure
Humor : Dry
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was going to ask exactly the same question. I have separated the breeding pair and was wondering what age/size the youngsters will start pairing up. Also what does everyone do with all the babies, will aquariums buy them off you ? What was a great educational experience for my two children has turned into a great seething mass on the tank floor at feed time. But you just can't help but love them!
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:16 pm

What age will the youngins pair up?-- it doesn't matter because you shouldn't(my opinion) be breeding siblings
together. Most Aquarium shops will take your excess's of babies , they 're not worth a hell of a lot but you'll get
yourself or the kids a little of pocket money.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding   Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats the best thing I can do to stop them breeding
Page 1 of 1