Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What Meds do People use? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What Meds do People use? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Meds do People use?

Go down 
+8
Mooo
GrubbyGirl
k.bod
Angi-N-Wayne
Jagtazman
Curby
"L Number mad
816johnv
12 posters
AuthorMessage
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

What Meds do People use? Empty
PostSubject: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi,

Just thought i would see what meds people use?

Right My first point of call is melafix and pimafix, If things aint looking good then I go with protazin for fungal etc and esha for internal problems
Back to top Go down
"L Number mad
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
What Meds do People use? 12-38

Male Number of posts : 223
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 8:24 pm

i use melafix for most tends to work most of the time
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:45 pm

the only 2 i have used so far are ESHA EXIT and ESHA 2000....worked a treat for me farao
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:00 pm

In my arsenal I have

MYXAZIN lowers the count of harmful bacteria in aquarium water, treating Fin Rot, Body Rot, Ulcers, Sores and other bacterial infections. MYXAZIN will also help to control Pop - Eye Disease, Cloudy Eyes and Mouth Fungus. MYXAZIN should be used daily until symptoms disappear (typically this would be between 3 and 5 applications). MYXAZIN can also be used to sterilise nets and live foods such as Daphnia and Tubifex. MYXAZIN is mild on fish, highly biodegradable and effective against a wide range of fish health problems.

PROTOZIN is used for the control of all protozoan and fungal infections e.g Whitespot, Fungus, Neon Tetra Disease, Velvet, Costiasis and Trichodiniasis. You will require 4 separate applications to complete the course of treatment. By adding the treatment on days 1, 2 and 3 the product safely compounds in strength and does not burden the already stressed animals with a hard hitting formula. The final dose on day 6 is a preventative measure to try and ensure the organism does not re-occur. PROTOZIN's properties are highly effective at treating all its target organisms. Protozin is our best selling disease treatment world wide.

STERAZIN is used or the control of gill and body parasites which cause fish to flick when no symptoms are visible to the unaided eye. STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm. In order to destroy the parasites in all stages of their life cycle you will need to use the product on days 1, 3, 6, 8 and 10. STERAZIN may also be used to aid the sterilisation of aquatic plants and is highly biodegradable.

Koi Care F-M-G Mixture Anti-Parasite and Fungus Mixture of Malachite Green and Formalin formulated for treating sick Koi with a Koi parasite problem or Koi fungus infection. FMG provides the same treatment levels as the two individual components used separately. A ready mixed Koi treatment eliminating the need to mix seperate treatments, the treatment levels are higher than other propietary mixtures which means this product should not be used when sensitive fish such as Golden Orfe or Sturgeon are present. FMG can be used where Goldfish are present.
The market leading Koi anti-parasite and fungus fish disease treatment for Koi, there is nothing else on the market as effective as FMG to fight unwanted parasites...A Koi keepers secret weapon!

Interpet No.9 Anti Internal Bacteria Unique patented formulation that cures fish of
internal systemic bacterial infections caused by
Pseudomonas, Aeromonas and Vibrio bacteria
species.

Interpet No.10 Methylene Blue A traditional treatment used to treat a variety
of fish disease. Can also be used to reduce the
toxicity of nitrite in aquarium water.

JBL GyrodolCures fluke diseases.
Cures not only gill and skin flukes (Trematoda) but also tapeworms (Cestoda)!
Contains Praziquantel. The most renown active ingredient in veterinary medicine for curing flukes infections.Fights flukes infections within 6 hours!
Suitable for salt- and fresh-water.

Kusuri Wormer plus is a great new treatment for tropical and coldwater aquarium fish. Recommended for: tapeworms,helminthic, flukes and other large parasites and invertebrates.
Wormer plus is manufactured by Kusuri products, Flubendazole is the main active ingredient, then naturally sourced calcium carbonate acts as a gentle booster and pick me up after the pests are killed.
Flubendazole has been widely used for the treatment of worms in Discus and other Tropical fish for may years and has a proven track record of success.
This product does not contain antibiotics and is still marketed with the small animal exemption scheme. It is 100% legal VMD approved, passed with risk phrases also safety phrases and has been covered with a COSHH sheet. The new wormer plus has a easy to use 30 gallon measuring scoop (supplied) in every pack, making it easy to measure out and to administer the treatment. Instructions are on the back of every pack.
This wormer will not raise your PH, TDS or GH. .

eSHa Hexamita - Discus Disease HEXAMITA is a unique treatment that combats disease in Discus and other Cichilds.
Effectively treats 'Hole in the head disease'.
Effectively treats other bacterial and fungal infections.
Prevents disease in newly acquired stock.
Protects fish from secondary infections.

Also Epsom Salts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:00 pm

thats some arsenal mate...........
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Curby wrote:
thats some arsenal mate...........

Yup like to be prepared,do not believe in meds, most things can be sorted with fresh clean water and regular water changes, but if needs must want to make sure I have meds on hands, the joys of keeping discus mainly
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

i totally agree mate medz are the last option in my eye's also...
Like you said nice fresh water is the best med...... Smile
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Initially when first into fish keeping in general, I stocked up on the usual stuff "just in case". But now tend to stick with melafix. New fish, moving fish, bit under the weather fish ..... just add a splash of melafix, and everything tends to work out just fine.

I am a cheapskate though, and purchased the pond version. Not that much more expensive, but a lot more concentrated, meaning literally a small amount is plenty.
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
k.bod
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 128
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 2:58 pm

my 1st few arnt exactly meds but prevention is better than a cure ..

obviously frequent water changes and well kept tank

crushed peas ...works great for fishy constipation .bloat etc keeps them regular ..

crushed garlic ..great at building up and keeping their immune system in check its good for healing themselves as well as (my understanding that certain worms , or flukes have probs latching onto the gills etc as what is secreted via the garlic makes this harder for them to attatch to fish that and they dont like it ..)

epsom salts ..another useful item for fishy constipation ...

meds also in my stock pile which ive built up over time or had given me ..rarely if never used ..

kursuri wormer
sera med nematol /camallianus wormer
melafix
myxazin
protozin
Back to top Go down
GrubbyGirl
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
GrubbyGirl

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Angi-N-Wayne wrote:

I am a cheapskate though, and purchased the pond version. Not that much more expensive, but a lot more concentrated, meaning literally a small amount is plenty.

That's a really good tip. How much stronger is it? My quarantine tank is only 30 litres so I'd need to be able to measure out a smaller qualitity - though I do have a 1ml syringe (advantage of working in the NHS!!)

Angela
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 am

I use and always have on hand,
Melafix & Pimafix
If I need anything stronger I use myaxzin,
I always have triple sulfur tabs and parasite tabs..
BigL wormer & Pancure25

PS ..I don't need to use these meds very often, cos I use my Geo liquid every water change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
crichards
Small Fry
Small Fry
crichards

Male Number of posts : 24
Humor : lol
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Do you guys reduce the doses on your med because bristlenoses have delicate skin??
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 am

its not that they have delecate skin, its that they have no scales.

their entire body is covered in tastebuds to be able to sense their environment better

and yes, for most meds I run them at half dose for twice as long. the only ones that i dont are Melafix, Pimiafix and Big L.
Back to top Go down
Ared2die4
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Ared2die4

Female Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-25

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I find that Paraguard fixes pretty much everything. its very broad spectrum.

I put all my new fish in it when i first got them for 2-3 days after they get settled in the Iso tank and then acclimate them to the main tank over the next day.

I also had really good results when one of my Blind cave tetras was acting weird and had some strange marks on his side. I kept him in my Isolation tank for a week with treatment dose and he recovered from what ever it was.

I also just used it on my big guy who bloated.. but he was more constipated as evidenced by the huge pile Shocked after he was fed the peas.....

Paraguard<-------------Link to product page at Seachem
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 11:39 pm

I Keep my tanks slightly salty, I use Aqualibrium salt at a dose of 0.1%. (1 gram of the aqualibrium salt to 1 litre of water).

When I do a water change I measure the quantity of water taken out, and replace with the same plus the appropriate volume of salt to keep the 0.1% level.

Since I have started doing this I haven't had a single issue with any fish in my tanks.

The BN's dont seem to mind it at all. Its also a lot cheeper than any other medication.

Cheers Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Meds do People use?   What Meds do People use? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Meds do People use?
Page 1 of 1