Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Tank Divider Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Tank Divider Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tank Divider

Go down 
+3
Doug
lakatu
Darren Balch
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm looking at the possibility of using a 4 ft tank for breeding a couple of different species of fish. I am thinging of how i can make a divider effecrively making 2x 2 ft tanks. I was thinking i would like to make it out so as it could be removed or installed once the tank has water in. My idea using plexi-glass or coloured plastic incorporating some routered mopani wood at the bottom as a stand and some kind of clip arrangement on the sides and at the top. Planning to use holes of around 10mm diameter to increase flow as much as possible. I know i need to use plastics that are ok for aquarium use and also plan to soak in with a carbon filter for a few days to draw out any nasties just to make sure.

Has anyone ever made something similar? been finding it hard to see any plastic grating or perf that states its safe for food use or aquarium use scratch?
Back to top Go down
lakatu
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 32
Job/hobbies : Graphic Design (visual rhetoric)/Small Hatchery (plecos & tetras)
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-11

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 pm

I know some of you are going to think I'm working with this guy because I've posted several links to his stuff. I'm not though. This is just good stuff.

I use these as tank dividers in some of my larger tanks. Easy to use, easy to remove, adds to filtration if you have water movement through it. It will eat up about 2 inches of space.

Poret Foam
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

there are several kits you can buy to do this. Some of them use mesh, others plastic. One thing to consider is that if you use a solid plastic sheet then youwill need to have a filter for both sides. Thats why i would go for either a mesh or at least partially mesh barrier, so that the filtered water can flow through and get the whole tank Smile

that link looks really good! I reckon the tank divider filter would be an awesome idea as it would add O2 as well as divide and filter...winner all round Smile
Back to top Go down
procull
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : Private security contractor
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:59 pm

what about plain old egg crate ? or lexan drilled with 10mm holes ?
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 5:17 pm

For tank dividers we used either plastic canvas, used in crafting such as cross stitch and in the market costs around a quid a sheet (approx A4 size), or, for larger sizes we used some thin perspex cut to size with small holes burnt/drilled into them. This way you control the size and number required.

To support/hold in place we used plastic spines which can be found at your local office suppliers (we used Wilkinsons).

You do need the tank to be empty initially to set the spines to the glass using aquarium sealant, but you can set them at a number of different places so that your tank can be split into different sized sections. We used 3 spines per split, one on the bottom, and one each side. But once installed that's it. You can add and removed the dividers as you need to Smile

Hope that helps.

Angi
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: easy diy tank dividers for aquariums   Tank Divider EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Angi-N-Wayne wrote:
For tank dividers we used either plastic canvas, used in crafting such as cross stitch and in the market costs around a quid a sheet (approx A4 size), or, for larger sizes we used some thin perspex cut to size with small holes burnt/drilled into them. This way you control the size and number required.

To support/hold in place we used plastic spines which can be found at your local office suppliers (we used Wilkinsons).

You do need the tank to be empty initially to set the spines to the glass using aquarium sealant, but you can set them at a number of different places so that your tank can be split into different sized sections. We used 3 spines per split, one on the bottom, and one each side. But once installed that's it. You can add and removed the dividers as you need to Smile

Hope that helps.

Angi

Angi,

great minds think alike I have the spines and canvas ready for when I move and to split my own tanks up Smile

regards

LJ
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 5:54 pm

LOL LJ

ya know what they say .....

Necessity is the mother of all invention Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:51 pm

I just use my own invention- 4X"rigid raisers"( the type you use for a home irrigation system to lift the sprinkler heads away), 4X 90degree (elbow) joints and a linen/washing bag with holes about 2-3 mm.
Simply cut the raisers to fit your tank add the elbow joints ( you now have a frame) and then stretch the bag on ,
Laughing too easy.

cheers J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tank Divider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Divider   Tank Divider Empty

Back to top Go down

Tank Divider
Page 1 of 1