Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eggs in my new tank!

Go down 
+3
Bristlenoses
Doug
Kaenon
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 am

Well good luck and please keep us informed of their progress,i hope all goes well.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 am

Kaenon wrote:
Bristlenoses wrote:
Hi,no if i was you i wouldnt risk it as it will not be cycled.What filters are in your main tank ?

Bristlenoses Very Happy

I have 3 AC 70s.

One with standard media, the other two with double sponges and ceramics.

Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong, but I would change the water in your 10 gal, replace it with water from the main tank again, pop on one of the ac70's with the sponges and ceramic and move in dad and the kids along with a handful of substrate (if you use it) from the main tank. Be sure to cover the intake strainer with sponge or nylon stocking. Or, you could get a smaller filter for the 10 gal. and just fill it with active media from one of the ac70's.
I always keep extra sponge filters in stocked tanks in order to set up "instantly cycled" tanks for angelfish fry- I've never had a problem with it.
I have NOT done it with BN fry (yet) so anyone with more BN expertise PLEASE ADVISE, pro or con? Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 3235774899
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi Sarah,it's definately possible to do and I have given it a lot of thought.If some substrate could be moved over and the water changed again to 100% main tank water and one of the ac 70s put into it,it would probably be good to go.It would need to be at the same temperature aswell.The rock would need moving correctly so that the fry don't get sucked out.The only problem i can see is keeping the tank stable and would need regular water checks just to be sure.It all depends on what Kaenon feels comfortable with and what he/she would like to try i guess.

Trying to weigh up the best solution for the fry and which would be the lesser of two evils is difficult as is what to advise for the best outcome.I do agree though that it is possible to do if Kaenon feels confident in doing it and would like to give it a go.

Also what is the fish that is already in the hospital tank and is it healthy or is it a predatory fish?

Kaenon if you would like to go ahead and give it a go just ask and we will help you with the process if you need help.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 28
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 am

Hi. Thanks again for all the help.

The other fish in the hospital is a holding juvie cichlid, and since she is holding, she doesn't eat.

On one hand, I want to just move over the rock with the fry because they only have a day or so before they venture out and the cichlid seems fine after being in the tank for days now.

On the other hand, the fry won't be as hardy as the cichlid and I don't want them all to die off like that at my hands in case everything isn't balanced.

I had no idea things would be this stressful when all I wanted was a second BN to keep my larger cichlid tank clean!
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 am

Hi Kaenon,

I assume (forgive my ignorance) "holding" is Cichlid speak for a mouth brooder with eggs/fry??? Will they be viable? If so, congratulations!

Don't sweat it, unless you are keen on raising a LOT of BN, then natural population control is a good thing. Your two wasted no time getting started, likely there will be no stopping them now. Another spawn is not far away. Add in some more ground cover for hiding if you want to and some may make it, and you can leave them in the tank you intended them for.

If you move them, you have been warned!!!!!!!! affraid
Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 C1yula10
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 am

Hi Kaenon,as Sarah said,don't worry about it.They will be breeding on a regular basis now that they have started and you will be ready next time.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Okay thanks again everyone!

And yes the holding cichlid is a mouthbrooder who would pose no threat to the bn fry.

I will leave this batch go and see what happens and learn from this first time.

My one female peacock cichlid spit early in my main tank and the next day my other female peacock is holding in the main tank. Oil!
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:29 pm

I think I notice roughly 15-20 1-1.5cm fry inside the cave. Dad is still protecting them.

Its been a while I'd say. When is he going to let them out?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 pm

when they are quick enough to get past him Smile
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 am

Interesting. Day 14 and it seems like there are only 10-12 fry inside.

They look like they are getting bigger, and I am expecting them to come out at any time now. The dad leaves every now and then but I never see any escape.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Some have probably already come out and the rest will follow very soon,in the next few days.Have you put plenty of food in there for them like cucumber?
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Some have probably already come out and the rest will follow very soon,in the next few days.Have you put plenty of food in there for them like cucumber?

Yes. Green squash, cucumber and algae wafers.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 pm

That's great,I hope all goes well,keep us updated as to their progress Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
That's great,I hope all goes well,keep us updated as to their progress Very Happy

I had a late day at work on Monday when I planned on transferring the cave with wrigglers and when I got home that evening, the cave was empty, dad was still fanning away at nothing and no fry were left =(

I was doing a full main tank cleaning today and saw a new batch of eggs in the cave! So I moved it over immediately, along with my one pregnant cichlid who had been in the 10 gallon tank and I stripped her and released 2 fry into that tank.

I'll keep you all posted on the new batch of eggs.

Also, interestingly enough, all of the previous batch of BN were all brown, no albino despite the albino mother. Is that common?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Also, a couple eggs rolled out into the 10 gallon tank onto the bare bottom, is there anything I should do about these? Or will the 2 cichlid fry just released today eat the two eggs? Or will those two eggs hatch ok?
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 am

Congratulations Kaenon! cheers

I assume you moved the male along with the cave/eggs, yes? Just making sure since you didn't say.

I personally wouldn't worry over two booted eggs, probably just from the move. If your cichlid fry can eat them, I'd let them enjoy the caviar! Hatching them yourself usually requires an egg tumbler.

All browns is probably normal, Doug would know the genetics much better than I. It's also possible there were a percentage of albino and you just missed them but your cichlids didn't.

Anyhow, you're off and running now Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 2333747070 Good Luck and Enjoy! Keep us posted.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 am

Sarahdd wrote:
Congratulations Kaenon! cheers

I assume you moved the male along with the cave/eggs, yes? Just making sure since you didn't say.

I personally wouldn't worry over two booted eggs, probably just from the move. If your cichlid fry can eat them, I'd let them enjoy the caviar! Hatching them yourself usually requires an egg tumbler.

All browns is probably normal, Doug would know the genetics much better than I. It's also possible there were a percentage of albino and you just missed them but your cichlids didn't.

Anyhow, you're off and running now Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 2333747070 Good Luck and Enjoy! Keep us posted.

Sarah

Yes I moved the male as well. Smile

Another question: the eggs have a white spot on them. Is that just from where they were initially in the cave and then moved? Also, one egg is clear, should it be removed from the rest?

Thanks again. You and bristlenoses are super helpful!
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:32 am

[Another question: the eggs have a white spot on them. Is that just from where they were initially in the cave and then moved? Also, one egg is clear, should it be removed from the rest?]quote

I'll have to let someone else address this one, except to say I would leave them be to avoid stressing the male.

I have rarely gotten more than a glimpse of an egg cluster since they are way in the back of long narrow terra- cotta caves and the male blocks my view. I assume the male takes care of any infertile or otherwise "bad" eggs with his constant mouthing and fanning of them. If the move damaged the cluster, there's probably little you can do- if they don't hatch, put your female in the 10 gal w/dad and you'll have more in no time!

Sarah Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 1153438146

Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 am

Sarahdd wrote:
[Another question: the eggs have a white spot on them. Is that just from where they were initially in the cave and then moved? Also, one egg is clear, should it be removed from the rest?]quote

I'll have to let someone else address this one, except to say I would leave them be to avoid stressing the male.

I have rarely gotten more than a glimpse of an egg cluster since they are way in the back of long narrow terra- cotta caves and the male blocks my view. I assume the male takes care of any infertile or otherwise "bad" eggs with his constant mouthing and fanning of them. If the move damaged the cluster, there's probably little you can do- if they don't hatch, put your female in the 10 gal w/dad and you'll have more in no time!

Sarah Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 1153438146

Good news, I just got home after not being here for a few hours and the white spots are gone Smile
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 am

[/quote]

Good news, I just got home after not being here for a few hours and the white spots are gone Smile[/quote]

cheers Great news! As usual, Daddy BN knows best!

Sarah

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi,it is perfectly normal for new eggs to have a little white spot on Very Happy

Congrats on the new eggs also,i hope all goes well.Don't ever mess about with a batch of eggs.If there are some unfertilised the dad will take care of it.

As for them all being brown,this is usualy the case as albinism is recessive.Meaning any other colour is dominant to it.You need 2 albino genes to produce an albino.Meaning either 2 albino parents or one albino parent and another parent that is carrying the albino gene or two coloured parents who are both carrying the albino gene.For an offspring to be albino it needs the albino gene from both parents.I hope this is not too complicated and you can understand it.Of course like in nature there can be an albino turn up in any batch of normals but is unusual.

Please keep us updated as to the progress.Will those cichlids in the tank be a threat to the babies?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Hi,it is perfectly normal for new eggs to have a little white spot on Very Happy

Congrats on the new eggs also,i hope all goes well.Don't ever mess about with a batch of eggs.If there are some unfertilised the dad will take care of it.

As for them all being brown,this is usualy the case as albinism is recessive.Meaning any other colour is dominant to it.You need 2 albino genes to produce an albino.Meaning either 2 albino parents or one albino parent and another parent that is carrying the albino gene or two coloured parents who are both carrying the albino gene.For an offspring to be albino it needs the albino gene from both parents.I hope this is not too complicated and you can understand it.Of course like in nature there can be an albino turn up in any batch of normals but is unusual.

Please keep us updated as to the progress.Will those cichlids in the tank be a threat to the babies?

Bristlenoses Very Happy

No all makes sense now that I know how recessive the gene is. I just figured there was a better chance with 1 albino parent and without knowing the parents of the dad, I don't know if he's carrying the gene.
Seeing the first batch I would be doubtful.

The 2 cichlid fry are barely the size of the BN eggs so I don't think they'll be a threat for a while. I will monitor the situation.
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 pm

I meant to say BRISTLENOSES or Doug would know the genetics much better than I!

My apologies Bristlenoses, an unintentional lapse of thought on my part. Embarassed

Sarah

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 am

Hey Sarah it fine,you weren't to know that i know a bit about colour genetics.Keanon even if he does carry the albino gene it's a bit like the lottery if any offspring ever get it.Only way to guarantee albinos is to breed albinos together.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 am

Heh, alright thanks guys and gals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eggs in my new tank!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next