Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bryce's Breeding log. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bryce's Breeding log. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bryce's Breeding log.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

Male Number of posts : 46
Job/hobbies : Uni student studying science. Games: sc2, Dota2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-03-28

Bryce's Breeding log. Empty
PostSubject: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:43 am

Hello I've decided to start a breeding log on this forum to keep you guys up to date with what's been going on since people here have helped me with several things to get this successfully started Smile.

Tank: 3 foot tank split into 2 sections each side holding around 60 litres.
Current tank residents: Left side- 8.5cm albino male, 7.5cm albino female, 7.5cm albino female, Approx 30 common fry.
Right side- 9.5cm common male, 8cm common female, 8cm common female.
Diet: a varied diet of zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, hikari algae wafers, deshelled peas, the odd green bean.
Filtration: 1 biochemical sponge filter in each run by an air pump rated up to 800L aquariums.
Heater: 150w aqua one heater stuck on the middle wall. Keeps one side 26 degrees and the other side around 24.5 degrees.
Maintenance: 20-40% water change daily will cut the water changes to probably every other day in a few weeks just making sure the tanks get fully established first.
Furnishing: 1 decent sized peice of driftwood in each side, 1 round clay cave, and home made ceramic tile caves.

First of all I purchased a 8cm albino male posted from sydney to add to my 7cm albino female. Then when browsing the lfs i found a very nice 7.5-8cm common female which i purchased and added.

About 2 weeks later on the 16th of April the common female laid eggs with the male.
Friday 19th of april eggs hatched (on my birthday)
Friday the 19th of april i went out to purchase a new tank to accommodate my new breeding adventure. I ended up purchasing a 3ft tank split in the middle each side holds about 60 litres. To this tank i added some established filter media from my other tanks and moved dad and his cave to one side of the new tank. Each side of the tank is filtered by a sponge filter connected to a decently sized air pump.
Tuesday the 23rd of april a trio of 1 male common 9.5cm, 1 female common 8cm, and 1 albino female 7.5cm arrived from sydney. So now i have a common trio in 1 side and an albino trio in the other side.
Friday the 26th of april fry start leaving the cave majority are out by the next morning. In the afternoon i go to remove the cave to give my male a break and there is more eggs in the cave this time to my original 7cm albino female which is around 7.5cm now.
Saturday 27th of april 100% common fry as mum is common dad is albino. Fry are feeding on blanched zucchini, peas, Hikari algae wafers and spinach leaves.
Planning to remove the cave 6 or 7 days after these eggs hatch so the female dont spawn again and my poor male can have a well deserved break for a month or 2.

Hoping that my common trio will spawn soon. The male is starting to take interest in a cave at the moment so fingers crossed in the next week or so they'll spawn.

I'll continue to keep you guys updated Smile.
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am

Gonna add some pics of my fish.

My 8.5cm albino male:
Bryce's Breeding log. 9liJSNj
Bryce's Breeding log. 7JzkbCi

My original 7.5cm albino female:
Bryce's Breeding log. VgnVzJN
Bryce's Breeding log. C37hECS

9.5cm common male:
Bryce's Breeding log. FVsl3wt

8cm common female from the lfs:
Bryce's Breeding log. VnuQt0w
Bryce's Breeding log. LpaeuDf

7.5cm albino and 8cm common from sydney:
Bryce's Breeding log. RKtmj32
Bryce's Breeding log. MWezbZn

My original 7.5cm albino female with a fry on her back:
Bryce's Breeding log. ZUllKXH

The right side of my tank (the side with the common trio)
Bryce's Breeding log. BOqUCAO
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Wow, awesome fish! Best of luck with all the fry.
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 6:13 am

40% water change done in the left side with fry. 20% done in the right side.
Fed fresh zucchini.
Fry are eating and seem to have grown a considerable amount already.
Albino male still fanning away in the left side eggs to hatch any day now Smile.
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyWed May 01, 2013 8:01 am

May 1st. eggs my albino male has been fanning began to hatch late afternoon.
40% water changes have been done daily. Fry are doing well eating lots and growing quickly Smile.
Planning to remove the cave on Wednesday the 8th of may to give my male a well deserved break.
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Bryce,

Just an observation from my breeding Very Happy

I would do no more that 20% changes every day, BIG changes in parameters can easily kill fry.

Best of luck & well done hatching out your clutch Smile
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyTue May 07, 2013 8:19 am

Tuesday 7th of May several of the albino bristlenose fry have escaped the cave and looks like the rest will soon follow. Will remove the cave either Wednesday night or Thursday morning to stop my already gravid females breeding again with my poor exhausted male.

Update on the common trio in the right side of the tank. Trio seem happy and eating away relaxing looks as if one female is getting gravid male isnt spending too much time in a cave at the moment might need to give them some more time.

In other news i have found a seller of L144 fry for $10 each with $20 postage so I'll probably end up buying 5 of them. I received pictures of the parents and they look wonderful. the seller has also said that they are F1 from the original imports so I'm very excited.

Hoping to get my hands on another 2 breeding tanks so i have a tank for my pep's to breed in once they grow a bit more and for these L144's to breed once they grow up.
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyWed May 08, 2013 6:28 am

Wednesday the 8th of May. Al the albino fry have left the cave so I removed the cave to give my male a break. He seems a bit lost at the moment not having any babies to protect but I'm sure he'll be fine in a couple of days. I've counted around 45 albino fry which I'm pretty happy with for my females first spawn. Cant wait to watch them grow up Smile.
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

nice im waiting on mine to leave the cave
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyMon May 13, 2013 4:36 am

Monday the 13th of May Woke up to find my common male fanning a nice batch of eggs. Not sure which female is the mother at this stage.
The fry in the other tank are doing well eating and growing fast.
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

nice great to hear
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 6:54 am

So my albino fry which hatched on the 1st of may seem to be really small and growing really slowly aswell. I found a dead fry today Sad. As a comparison they are the same size as the common fry i have that hatched on the 19th of May. Some of them are really skinny aswell. There is plenty of food and the common fry that are in the same tank with them are growing really fast and looking really healthy. I'm not sure what is wrong with the albino fry. Can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:09 am

For the next batch of albino fry, try tipping them out of the cave & into a breeding net with some drift wood & plenty of cucumber.
Do not let them out until they have doubled in size. This way you can be 100% sure they are eating well.

I have done this with all but 1 of my spawns & that is only because I didnt realise there was one Smile

I have a less than 2% loss rate when this is done... Otherwise I think natural selection takes hold...
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 9:20 am

Hmm I might give that a try they are so tiny compared to the common fry in the same tank and they are only 2 weeks older. I'm not sure what's going on Some of them look really skinny it looks like they eat al the time but i might try that to be sure. I thought it was best to keep the dad with them that's all.
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:28 am

Yep it is best to keep with dad which is why i leave them in there until the egg sac is 99% gone. This is usually the day that they are completely coloured & no longer transparent.

See how it goes. It may work, it may not.

Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 11:41 am

What about putting the whole cave dad + newly hatched fry in a breeding net then remove dad when the fry are about 7 days old?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:08 pm

i've done that before. I used to have my trio of peppermints in with my oscars. if they bred i would pop them into a breeder box until the dad let them out of the cave. then i would remove dad and cave and throw in a bit of driftwood for the babies to munch on. you need a settled male though, if the male is a bit skittish he will boot the eggs
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyMon May 27, 2013 3:50 am

He's fine with the last batch of eggs i moved him cave and all from 1 tank to another and he didnt even move Smile. So I'll give it a try

In other news i picked up some small calico bristlenoses about 3 cm from my LFS today Smile. And 5 3-4cm L144s are arriving on Wednesday from a breeder Smile. So excited.
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. EmptyThu May 30, 2013 3:51 am

Today I received 6 Beautiful 3cm L144's From a breeder. They are absolutely stunning. Can't wait for them to grow up and start breeding them.

In other news Fry are all doing well as are the adults .

I also bought all the stuff off ebay this week to make myself some diy fry savers with sponge filters inside them. Just have to wait for all the bits to arrive Smile.

sponge filters for the fry savers: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDM1WDQzNQ==/$(KGrHqN,!lcE9Q2bBDmkBPf8NuRdK!~~60_12.JPG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bryce's Breeding log.   Bryce's Breeding log. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bryce's Breeding log.
Page 1 of 1