Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What to do with filter after Ick treatment? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What to do with filter after Ick treatment? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to do with filter after Ick treatment?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

Female Number of posts : 23
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-27

What to do with filter after Ick treatment? Empty
PostSubject: What to do with filter after Ick treatment?   What to do with filter after Ick treatment? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 am

A few days after I got my bn and a couple platies, Ick showed up on the platies. I used the heat and salt method, and it's been almost four weeks since I've seen any signs of Ick, so I'm pretty sure it's gone for good now. I'm planning to put my bn and platy (the other new platy died) in my main tank this week.

I don't want to keep my quarantine tank up and running all the time, and I've read that the best thing to do in that case is to keep the quarantine tank's filter running in your main tank (in addition to the main tank's filter) so it'll be ready in case you need to set up the quarantine tank again. So my question is, since the Ick seems to be completely gone from the quarantine tank, is there anything special I need to do with the filter, or can I just go ahead and put it in the main tank?

Sabrina
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 68
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: What to do with filter after Ick treatment?   What to do with filter after Ick treatment? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 pm

clean and replace the carbon with new activated carbon or chemi pure and the floss

Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What to do with filter after Ick treatment?   What to do with filter after Ick treatment? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 am

You don't need carbon in quarantine tank's filter.
1. You shall not use it during the treatment - only after t to remove leftover meds.
2. Even if you don't treat the fish, what you need most is porous media that'd let nitrifying bacteria settle on. Floss, sponge does the job, what I find best:
http://www.bigalspets.com/substrat-pro-biological-filter-media-1-l.html

Depending on your filter type/model, you might be able to place in the cartridge.

Myself, I use peat instead of carbon on regular basis, because carbon absorbs the good stuff too. But once again, I'd use it after the treatment.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with filter after Ick treatment?   What to do with filter after Ick treatment? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do with filter after Ick treatment?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital-
Jump to: