Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

power head with lots of air!! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

power head with lots of air!! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

power head with lots of air!!

Go down 
+2
Kurosaki J
mattmania
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mattmania
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 78
Job/hobbies : Master sign writer
Humor : shaken not stirred
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-10

power head with lots of air!! Empty
PostSubject: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi all, i've got a power head in my tank with the option of adding air to it, if i turn the air right up (as opposed to no air) will it change the PH??

If so how (raise or lower).
Back to top Go down
http://www.iopenersigns.com.au
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 pm

High mattmania, I can't say I've ever heard of O2 levels in the water adjusting or governing water PH levels- I always thought it was just better to have as much oxygen in the water as possible so my little air breathers are cranked all the way up .
cheers J

Last edited by Kurosaki J on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
k.bod
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 128
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 8:03 pm

im with Kurosaki J. ..extra aeration wont alter ph but thougth id add note regarding oxygen as maybe of some use ..

regarding extra air ive been told ..Airstones/filter air outlets aggitate the surface of the water which increases the oxygen which can be pulled from the surface but it doesn't actually add any oxygen to the water ..

however too much oxygen in a tank will not benefit plants hence lots of brown or dead plants ..this is because you'll have more surface agitation, the water won't hold the CO2 as well...

plants produce oxygen during the day which builds up to forms tiny bubbles, when theyre big enough they float up. Different plants produce oxygen at different rates..so plants would be better for increasing oxygen in water for fish

tanks with cooler temps also have more oxygen as hotter temps use up more,but obviously temp depends on what fish you have.

i have a airstone in some of my tanks, some not as fast as others as i use a valve to correct amount of flow/aggitation ..but maybe a idea to adjust flow if considering plants ..or add more plants if worried about oxygen..kaz
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Good post k.bod, and the your explanation makes really good sense cheers .
Makes me want to do a minor re-think how my tanks are running.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
ayS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
ayS

Male Number of posts : 58
Job/hobbies : My Baby Daughter, Plecos, and Video Games
Humor : What's So Funny?
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 6:29 am

k.bod wrote:
im with Kurosaki J. ..extra aeration wont alter ph but thougth id add note regarding oxygen as maybe of some use ..

regarding extra air ive been told ..Airstones/filter air outlets aggitate the surface of the water which increases the oxygen which can be pulled from the surface but it doesn't actually add any oxygen to the water ..

however too much oxygen in a tank will not benefit plants hence lots of brown or dead plants ..this is because you'll have more surface agitation, the water won't hold the CO2 as well...

plants produce oxygen during the day which builds up to forms tiny bubbles, when theyre big enough they float up. Different plants produce oxygen at different rates..so plants would be better for increasing oxygen in water for fish

tanks with cooler temps also have more oxygen as hotter temps use up more,but obviously temp depends on what fish you have.

i have a airstone in some of my tanks, some not as fast as others as i use a valve to correct amount of flow/aggitation ..but maybe a idea to adjust flow if considering plants ..or add more plants if worried about oxygen..kaz

to sum it up adding more plants = more oxygen?
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

ayS wrote:
k.bod wrote:

to sum it up adding more plants = more oxygen?

Adding plants won't hurt mate, even if only a few
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 pm

no its not going to change the ph i run all my tanks with sponge fillters in them and their running off a koi pond pump as well as the eheims 2012 and theirs alot of water aggitation all going in the same direction as it would in the wild and the bristlenose thrive in
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 pm

as for plants i carnt be doing with them lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: power head with lots of air!!   power head with lots of air!! Empty

Back to top Go down

power head with lots of air!!
Page 1 of 1