Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Remove or not remove?  Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Remove or not remove?  Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Remove or not remove?

Go down 
+2
wolverine
-Paul-
6 posters
AuthorMessage
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Male Number of posts : 105
Humor :
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Remove or not remove?  Empty
PostSubject: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm just wondering..
If I'm right, and usually I'm not it seems like you wait until the 'egg sacks' are gone and then remove from main tank?

So based on this I have a couple of questions

1. Do they have to be removed and why?
2. Has anyone had success leaving them in the main tank?

*I did not have a spawn yet but I can feel it in my waters.. it's close (fingers crossed) the BN are doing all the courtship things.

I do have small tank ready if needed, I'm just wondering..
Back to top Go down
http://www.paulgreenhealthcare.co.uk/
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: remove or not is covered before....   Remove or not remove?  EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm

do not have too much time to get in to debate about this...

though I prefer leaving mine in the tank with the main reeding pair, although occasionally if the cichlids fancy a nibble
I do tend to have a fry saver ready. I do tend to have greater success by using a fry saver for 3-4 weeks after the egg
sack as disappeared.

alternatively try the search box above...

kind regards and speak soon.....

lj....
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Is there anything else in the tank with the BN's?

If there is only the BN's in the tank there is no reason why the young can not stay in the main tank, just keep an eye out for any overstocking problems as they grow.. When they reach 3-4cms is a good size to move them on.

Sometimes a young male will kick the eggs out but you can try hatching them in a frysaver.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 am

If they are in a tank with a dangerous predator such as any given chiclid or pirahna the best bet is to grab a large fry saver and move dad, cave and eggs into it while they are still eggs. If you do this gently enough the male will hardly notice and all will be well. that way the fry cna emerge from the cave happy and safe into a fry saver. if dad boots the eggs they will be in the fry saver and you will be ready to attempt a rescue.

If this is not an option then the longer you can leave them the better. trying to catch tiny fry with a net is really hard and using anything else can be damaging to the fry if not done right (syphons etc). Loosing one or two to a predator is better than loosing them all to clumsy transfuring.

if they are in a tank with only mum and dad and other plecos then no need to move them til they are on their way to the shops

Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:48 am

I agree with the last too posts, If their is nothing in there to eat them then it is up to you if you leave em or remove them..
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Humor :

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:15 pm

THanks for your answers all..

All that is in the tank is 4 female Cory

1 male and 1 female BN

I Siamese fighter

10 Harlequin rasbora..

Really the only ones anywhere near the bottom for feeding are the BN and Cory.. I hope these would not be a threat, any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 am

Saimese Fighters are carnivore primarily so a young BN fry would be a nice snack No

A young BN fry is no more than a yolk sac with a tail so even a Harlequin could attack and kill it while at this vulnerable stage. Although the males try to keep the young in their caves there are escapees.
Back to top Go down
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Humor :

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 am

jim.and wrote:
Saimese Fighters are carnivore primarily so a young BN fry would be a nice snack No

A young BN fry is no more than a yolk sac with a tail so even a Harlequin could attack and kill it while at this vulnerable stage. Although the males try to keep the young in their caves there are escapees.

Thanks for the heads up, they don't act in that way normally but I guess live food makes fish do different things, I'll keep it in mind., thanks
Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I have had large guppies take mine. It all depends on how much space you have to grow them on as well. Natural wastage works for me. Thins down the stock to a more workable group
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: siamese fighter is possible :)   Remove or not remove?  EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm

some siamese fighters are ok....

take my male betta in the photos of the month he is in my grow out tank and never ever bothers my BN fry,
infact he loves sleeping on the bottom and the fry use him as a bed to sleep on top...

though I have had other betta that use to nip my guppies although they never went for Bristlenose fry...

I have two cichlids that were given to me that have finished about 18 other cichlids off. They have now started attacking my black moscows,
I don't doubt that probably in a bigger 4ft or 5ft tank which is deeper than my 3ft x 18inch deep tank and they might stay away from other fish
but right now seem very aggressive and I have lost alot of my prize female guppies to them recently, infact 3 were dead last night and
10 of my other females are all missing recent spawns Sad

so you see some fish even though are known to be agressive like the betta can be mild, and at other times may not.

so you can never really fully tell, the cichlids are going to a friends this weekend as I can not afford to lose more fish Sad

good luck..
Back to top Go down
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Humor :

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 5:59 pm

wolverine wrote:
some siamese fighters are ok....

take my male betta in the photos of the month he is in my grow out tank and never ever bothers my BN fry,
infact he loves sleeping on the bottom and the fry use him as a bed to sleep on top...

though I have had other betta that use to nip my guppies although they never went for Bristlenose fry...

I have two cichlids that were given to me that have finished about 18 other cichlids off. They have now started attacking my black moscows,
I don't doubt that probably in a bigger 4ft or 5ft tank which is deeper than my 3ft x 18inch deep tank and they might stay away from other fish
but right now seem very aggressive and I have lost alot of my prize female guppies to them recently, infact 3 were dead last night and
10 of my other females are all missing recent spawns Sad

so you see some fish even though are known to be agressive like the betta can be mild, and at other times may not.

so you can never really fully tell, the cichlids are going to a friends this weekend as I can not afford to lose more fish Sad

good luck..

thank Wolverine, I'll keep that in mind.
Sorry about your fish, like you say you never can tell.
I'd did some pet sitting for a friends Cobalt blue zebra cichlid, It spent 2 hours in the main tank then I took it out and had to keep it separate for the duration. It was okay but the rest of the tank were petrified.. lol

I think it would be okay with my Siamese too, wait and see I guess.
It's good to have everyone's views as some combination really don't work and others could.

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remove or not remove?    Remove or not remove?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Remove or not remove?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: