Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Too much choice?!? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Too much choice?!? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Too much choice?!?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Male Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Music, Fish, Beer, Xbox360 etc
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:15 am

I have had my BN breeding tank setup for 5 weeks or so now and I am wondering if I have made a mistake. I have a 4 ft tank with a male and 2 un-related females. Tank has many caves, some slate, some coconut shell halves, some made from mopani wood. I have plants along the back of the tank (twisted vallis) and some random prices of mopani wood. I am thinking that if there is too many hiding places will the fish get lazy and all have their own favourite cave? I haven't tried any of the usual triggers just yet as the tank is only just cycled. Also my male who I have had since he hatched (3 years ago) has never shown any interest in any females I have put with him, is it possible that he just isn't interested or do I need to just have "the chat" with him and try some breeding triggers and see?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:05 am

one way to find out, take all but one of the caves out Smile
Back to top Go down
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks Doug, I will give it a try, is there a danger that they might get stressed with no where to hide? My male can get aggressive with any fish that tries to eat "his food" so i'll have to keep a close eye on proceedings.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm

I dont think so, I would leave the plants in there and that will give some cover to the females. If he is agressive over food then put two lots of food (half the size). one near him and one over the other side of the tank.

Also have you got any wood, as in drift wood, in there. In my breeding tanks i just have filters, heater, cave and a bit of wood for the female to hid on. seems to do just fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 pm

hmm Yeah I would take out some of those hiding spots..My bn has a choice of 2 caves placed beside each other and he has a log he lives under when he isn't on eggs...
They female just hangs about behind the males log...
Added a photo so you can see the cover n caves...Hope it helps..This tank with almost the same landscape has had two different pairs of bns spawn in it...
Too much choice?!? DSCF9055
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Male Number of posts : 105
Humor :
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:19 pm

I personally think it's the fun of he chase, I have about 6 good caves and the bogwood doubles up as a cave too.. when they get at it, it's like watching benny hill.. going from cave to cave..
The reason I have so many is that also in the tank are 4 corydora, 2 mature bristlenosed and my Siamese fighter also takes over one of the caves at night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paulgreenhealthcare.co.uk/
Darren Balch
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Darren Balch

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:31 pm

I may have a reason for some of the non-breeding activity in my tank. I have a Large Adult male, a slightly smaller female and a young female. Plan was that whichever female bonded best with the male I would keep and move the other female out to another tank. About 2 weeks ago my smallest female (2.5 inches long or so) started to look a little different. Now "she" is developing more and more bristles which are starting to creep up along "her" snout. I think you can see where this maybe going............. I noticed during feeding 2 days ago my adult male displaying rather aggressively at the entrance of his cave towards the "female". I have given it 48hrs but think i have to move the smallest male to another tank and try getting hold of another female.

Anyone have any ideas what would happen if i was to introduce 2 more females to my breeding setup? or am i best sticking to just adding 1 more?

Also my cherry shrimps i have in the tank are breeding pretty quickly, firstly i thought quite a few had died but noticed it was just skins, and many of the females were absolutely full of eggs.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 pm

it happens, my breeding pair of peps i bought turned out to be two males Sad

In a 4 ft tank you could get away with adding in 2 extra females. In a 4ft tank i would think about maybe 2 males and 3 females.

Good the hear the cherrys are breeding up well. They are cute little things Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too much choice?!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much choice?!?   Too much choice?!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too much choice?!?
Page 1 of 1