Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bad molly, bad BAD molly! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bad molly, bad BAD molly! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bad molly, bad BAD molly!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Bad molly, bad BAD molly! Empty
PostSubject: Bad molly, bad BAD molly!   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I keep mollies with my BN so the tanks don't look empty from a distance. Generally this is fine, but every once in a while there will be a molly that is a fry eater (other than their own fry). I've had perhaps 3 of them over the years that were fry eaters. I have just discovered another rouge molly feasting on my newly emerged albino BN fry! Needless to say, she has been removed.

Just a reminder to be vigilant if you keep anything at all in the tanks with your BN and want to raise the fry.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: molly fish just love most fry :(   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:53 pm

I have been fore warning people about mollies for years.... and posted a few times on this forum regarding the issue...

they can often eat their own fry as well as other fry, they just love Bristlenose fry and guppy fry...

so always watch closely when fry are in your tank and these greedy little pesks are about....

you will often find molly are always hungry, they have a insatiable appetite Sad
Back to top Go down
parkadge
V.I.P Member
parkadge

Male Number of posts : 97
Job/hobbies : Artist/Military History
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Bad molly, bad BAD molly!   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 pm

When I started fishkeeping there was a shop called Jebi's aquatics here in Dublin run by an old man who if he didn't like the look of you wouldn't let you into the shop Very Happy I got on well with him and even sold some home bred Gouramis, Bettas and Swordtails to him.

However One time my brother in law asked me to get him some Mollies while I was there and when I asked for them the owner turned on me "Mollies- I wouldn't have them in the shop, most unpleasant fish. Are they for you? I thought you had more sense"

It was only when I assured him they weren't for me that he let me remain as a customer Laughing

It put me off Mollies for life
Back to top Go down
http://parkadge.blogspot.com/
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Bad molly, bad BAD molly!   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I had the mollies before the BN as they were a fish that liked our local hard water and I am not of a mind to fight my water. Up to now it's been OK, but the albino male let his fry out of the cave at a younger age than my brown does and that did not work out well, ... so I am reconsidering the mollies. What would you suggest that will thrive in hard water, and not eat BN fry excessively?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bad molly, bad BAD molly!   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm

If you really did not want to part with the mollies you could, in future, move the albino male and cave to a fry saver or another tank before he releases the fry.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad molly, bad BAD molly!   Bad molly, bad BAD molly! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad molly, bad BAD molly!
Page 1 of 1