Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 65
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-09-15

HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? Empty
PostSubject: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 am

I am planning to go on a holiday, but I hv just had a batch of 5day old fry. By the time of my holiday, they will probably be just 2wks old, how long can they go w/o food? or what can I leave in the fry saver so they won't starve? how about peas? which I notice don't foul water that much?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Is there no one who can feed them while your away Question

Have you got a small spare tank that's running at the moment Question If you have try moving it into direct sunlight hopefully by the time you leave there should be good algae growth, the greener the tank the better. So long as the water matches the wter they are kept in now you could move them in a day or two before you go. You would have to move the tank again as in direct sunlight it would have large temoperature variations. This may keep them fed while your away. But if you can get a fishsitter it's the better option.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:54 pm

My experience is that fry do not go for very long at all without regular consistent feeding. I have a form of chronic inflammatory arthritis and there was an approximately 2 month period where I was trying various meds to see which if any I could tolerate. I was so out of it with some of them that my feeding became hit or miss. I don't think I ever went more than two days in a row without feeding the fry, but in that time frame I lost all the batches of fry that I had at the time. The adults were fine, but the fry needed more. I too would recommend someone to come in and feed your fish if at all possible.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

jim.and wrote:
Is there no one who can feed them while your away Question

Have you got a small spare tank that's running at the moment Question If you have try moving it into direct sunlight hopefully by the time you leave there should be good algae growth, the greener the tank the better. So long as the water matches the wter they are kept in now you could move them in a day or two before you go. You would have to move the tank again as in direct sunlight it would have large temoperature variations. This may keep them fed while your away. But if you can get a fishsitter it's the better option.
Thanks, quite impossible to get a fishsitter, so I am going to prepare to grow algae instead.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Amber wrote:
My experience is that fry do not go for very long at all without regular consistent feeding. I have a form of chronic inflammatory arthritis and there was an approximately 2 month period where I was trying various meds to see which if any I could tolerate. I was so out of it with some of them that my feeding became hit or miss. I don't think I ever went more than two days in a row without feeding the fry, but in that time frame I lost all the batches of fry that I had at the time. The adults were fine, but the fry needed more. I too would recommend someone to come in and feed your fish if at all possible.

Hope u r feeling better now, will heed ur advice and not take any chances with the fry. I am sure the adults will be fine since daddy can go w/o food for the period while watching over the egg/fry.

Jus 1 more question, I hv other tanks with ABN juv that are about 5mths and above, I can't possibly grow algae for all tanks, it is ok that I hv jus DW and coconut husk in there cos I notice they do graze on DW and the husk.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:20 pm

The drift wood and coconut husk are good, but I had drift wood in my tank also. I think it depends upon the amount of fry in comparison to the available food in the tank as there needs to be enough food of some sort in there for them all to graze continually and the younger the fry the more critical this is.

Feeding was the only variable in the time frame where I lost my fry as my husband did the water changes for me. He does most of the time anyway (what a sweetie!!!!) so I don't think water quality was an issue.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am

Amber wrote:
The drift wood and coconut husk are good, but I had drift wood in my tank also. I think it depends upon the amount of fry in comparison to the available food in the tank as there needs to be enough food of some sort in there for them all to graze continually and the younger the fry the more critical this is.

Feeding was the only variable in the time frame where I lost my fry as my husband did the water changes for me. He does most of the time anyway (what a sweetie!!!!) so I don't think water quality was an issue.
Oh, you are female, haha... I am female too. Not many female fish hobbyists I realise, females prefer dogs/cats/rabbits, but not fish, haha.. Its so sweet when our husband helps out in times of need.

Looks like I might also hv to grow algae on rocks and place them in the juv tank.
Back to top Go down
leopard
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:30 am

Thanks goodness...I am back from 4 days holiday w/o a single casualty. These fries and juv survived on a slice of cucumber. Water still look crystal clear.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 am

good to hear Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?   HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD? Empty

Back to top Go down

HOW LONG CAN FRY GO WITHOUT FOOD?
Page 1 of 1