Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abbie1711
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 3
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?   Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Ive currently got two gorgeous bristled males and three large adult females (one of which is very old)

They are in a 125 community tank, although I am considering rehoming some!

In the tank along with the bristlenose, I have
2x small-medium synodontis cats
2x platys
2x female sailfins
3x corys (2 of which are jumbo)
2x dwarf banded cichlids.

Its the cichlids I am most concerned about, although they are very timid, quite small and calm, I don't want them eating any babies if the bristlenose breed!
Is it possible to breed bristlenose in this size tank?

Should I move the cave with the eggs and the male into a large (double sized) net hatchery, or leave them?
Or should I wait until the babies are freely swimming outside the cave, and move them to another tank?

Thanks! (Btw, im not new, I had to create a new tank as my other name wouldnt let me log in :@ )
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?   Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 am

yeah, they will breed in a tank that size but i dont think they will. There are a lot of bottom dwelling fish in ur tank and these will make the bristlenose feel uneasy. they will need a good, well hidden cave out of the main traffic of the other fish.

If they did breed then you would want to move the cave and dad into a breeder net asap as the other fish will stress him out and they may even try and get into the cave. Not to mention once the babies are out almost everything in the tank will make a meal out of them
Back to top Go down
Abbie1711
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?   Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:47 am

Hi I forgot to mention the caves.
Ive currently got, 2 slate caves, 2 hand made black plastic tube caves, a plant pot and ornaments. (and plants)

The synodontis will unfortunately have to go, as I think theyre the biggest risk at the moment!
Back to top Go down
santor
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : Aquariums, Crabitats, Bonsai, Gardening
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Synodontis OK   Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 am

My bristlenose have produced hundreds of babies with 2 large synodontis eupterus. When I forgot to feed the big guys once they ate my apple snails and some crabs, but left all the baby bristlenose alone. Crabs, angelfish and cories also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?   Breeding in a community tank, is it possible? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding in a community tank, is it possible?
Page 1 of 1