Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Egg Tumbler's??? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Egg Tumbler's??? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Egg Tumbler's???

Go down 
+2
troyclark
Curby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 9:07 am

Does anybody no anything about egg tumbler's???

What the advantage's are???
Do they have a good success rate??

How do you make them(D.I.Y)??
Can they be bought???

Any Input would be great cheers ppl.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
troyclark
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Manager of a Lumberyard
Humor : I think so LOL..
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-10-15

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 am

Hello there, I am pretty new at breeding bns. I have had four successful spawns from my longfin albino males and various females with at least two spawning from my only brown female. I had just recently moved all the adults into a 180 barebottom tank in order to leave the 120 gallon tank for all the previous juvies, and tow females had spawned with one of my males. Something happened and he ended up kicking the entire spawn out of the spawning cave. I removed them and put them in a diy egg tumbler and they are hatching right now as I type. I estimate about 80-100 eggs showed fertile. I took a clear plastic piece of pipe made to cover an 8' flourescent light bulb and cut it to about 12" On the bottom I took a 1" pvc tee and put a piece of plastic window screen over it and put it into the end of the clear pipe. I then put the eggs into the pipe and cut some filter sponge to use as a plug. I slid the plug down the pipe until it was about and inch and a half above the eggs. I then put an airstone down the pipe and turned the air on until the eggs were moving a little but not jumping around. It works so far. If I have some more time I will post a few pics of my diy setup.
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm

troyclark wrote:
Hello there, I am pretty new at breeding bns. I have had four successful spawns from my longfin albino males and various females with at least two spawning from my only brown female. I had just recently moved all the adults into a 180 barebottom tank in order to leave the 120 gallon tank for all the previous juvies, and tow females had spawned with one of my males. Something happened and he ended up kicking the entire spawn out of the spawning cave. I removed them and put them in a diy egg tumbler and they are hatching right now as I type. I estimate about 80-100 eggs showed fertile. I took a clear plastic piece of pipe made to cover an 8' flourescent light bulb and cut it to about 12" On the bottom I took a 1" pvc tee and put a piece of plastic window screen over it and put it into the end of the clear pipe. I then put the eggs into the pipe and cut some filter sponge to use as a plug. I slid the plug down the pipe until it was about and inch and a half above the eggs. I then put an airstone down the pipe and turned the air on until the eggs were moving a little but not jumping around. It works so far. If I have some more time I will post a few pics of my diy setup.

Sounds interesting, do you have any pics?
ATM I have made a fry tank - like the ikea one I have posted previously.
Not used it for eggs but raising a few fry in it, works a treat as they do not have to search far for food,
reckon would be able to use it for the eggs if needbe.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm

High guys , Is there really the need for an egg tumbler Curby? Why not put the eggs in a breeder net with an airstone - like we have suggested to everyone else who asked about stray eggs? I've only used this method and gets 100% success rate+ I've never used a tumbler so can't give any advice(except for the tip - thefishcave.com)
cheers J
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:45 pm

i know someone that uses a brineshrimp hatcher to hatch is bn eggs but never seen it working ill ask him what he does with it and let you know
Back to top Go down
troyclark
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

how do i go about uploading a pic here ??
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

Yup pix are easy , got to the announcements section- there is a sticky thread for easy pix c/o curby and another thread for image hosting c/o me.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
troyclark
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Egg Tumbler's??? 100_0310

Egg Tumbler's??? 100_0210

As near as I can tell I have about 80-100 with near 100% hatch rate. We will see how they take to being raised away from dad.
Back to top Go down
troyclark
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Just an update. When I finally released them I had to stop counting at 175. Of those that did hatch I lost about 10-15 in the first few days. The rest are eating like champs. I feed them cucumbers, tropical flakes, and a very small fry food that I had used to feed baby discus.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:39 pm

cheers troy....
Is there any chance you could post a step by step on making tumbler's??

I think they are a must if egg's are booted out the cave and your proof is also proof that they work a hell of alot better than a standard fry saver with an air stone in...

cheers for posting mate.....more pic's please... Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
skippy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 97
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:57 am

Using a net breeder, do you keep the airstone running until the eggs hatch or until the fry are free swimming? I have a bunch of L144 eggs I didn't really want developing in a net now and they look like they will hatch in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

High skippy, I don't even use the stone in the net caper as I have a 1800ltr p/h power head blowing across the front of the tank where the net is situated , as for removing the stone - when the eggs hatch you'll notice the fry all bundeld up together( I'm assuming this is a comfort thing) so saying that , maybe to much air would disrupt this- so yeah I'd loose the stone as soon as they hatch.
Unless the air is low volume and fry are still hanging together you could play it either way.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm

ive just hatched some l100 eggs in a breeding trap with the air stone after the male gave them the boot i left the air stone in with them untill they were free swimming and they seem to be doing ok.
Back to top Go down
skippy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 97
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:56 am

They are now bumping about so maybe I will turn the airstone right down and hedge my bets. Whilst I was trying to catch and relocate a couple of peppered corys I noticed a few other baby plecos also wriggling in a couple of things I was moving about. It seems I'm about to be inundated with a plague of little buggers. I hate it when that happens!
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

i know what you mean lol good luck with them
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

I have a fry tank in my main tank
http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/tank-water-filters-f9/fry-tank-from-ikea-t624.htm?highlight=ikea
works a treat
My male recently kicked out 80+ eggs and I hatched them in this, he's still sat on 100+ fry in his cave mine you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Egg Tumbler's??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Egg Tumbler's???   Egg Tumbler's??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Egg Tumbler's???
Page 1 of 1