Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose Fugative Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose Fugative Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristlenose Fugative

Go down 
+3
Bristlenoses
jim.and
tankart
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : Painting & Drawing Instructor / Fine Art Painter
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Bristlenose Fugative Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 1:36 am

I think some of you will find this story interesting.
I purchased a small albino long-finned bristlenose yesterday from a Fish store in Lansing, Michigan. I wan't planning on buying any fish and was hesitant as I knew it would be a faily long time out of a tank, but I couldn't pass it up as I was so taken by the astonishing appearance of the Pleco. The trip took 6 hours with stops. When I got home I tested the PH in my tank, which was 6.5 and then the water in the bag with the fish, which was 7.6! (I asked in the person in Petshop about the PH before I purchased it and they said all their tanks were 7.0) I began preparing my 10 gallon quarantine tank along with 4.5 gallons of water from the main tank and 4.5 from a AP tap water filter adjusted to 7.5 PH. I took my outside filter with media from my main tank to run for an established bio filter. (I sitill have another canister filter running on the main tank. The Pleco did well overnight. Today, I've been slowly adding more water from the main tank in an attempt to even out the PH (though there has been no change in the PH after replacing 4 large drinking glasses of water. Anyway, the last time I went to add water the Pleco was not to be found. I looked through the plants, among the rocks and on the floor around the tank... NO PLECO? Then I thought to look in the outside Filter and there it was in the outside wall between the filter media and the housing. It had obviously traveled up the swift moving spillway! After try unsuccessfully to coax him out I ended up using a small plastic spoon to lift him back over the spillway into the tank. I may lower the water level to ensure the adventurer does not get into serious trouble.
Bob
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm

pale That must have been quite an ordeal for you and the fish, from which I hope you have both recovered.

There is never a dull moment with Bristlenoses lol!
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:01 pm

I hope the bristlenose is o.k he/she has been through quite a lot recently.I hope all settles down and he/she isn't too stressed.Is it a baby or an adult you have?

They are real characters and such lovely fish.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Hmmm rather a busy day you and your bn had. Congrats on the new edition and hope you enjoy your new little sucker Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: The Bristlenose tried it Again!   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Well the new Bristlenose tried to go up into the outside filter again, but I had the top on it so He could only get partway up the spillway. I lowered the water level and put in a small piece of driftwood. I rubberbanded a piece of cucumber on rock last night, before the lights were out, but no sign of eating anything yet. I read rubbing garlic on it might help. Perhaps I'll try that tonight. The Pleco has been hanging around the driftwood mot the day it's about 2.5" long.
Bob
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

It's probably just settling in and getting confidence in it's new surrondings, I do not think it's trying to escape more that it's looking for a place it can feel secure.

It will soon settle down once it's confident and knows it's in a safe enviroment.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Have you got a couple of caves in there for him to feel safe in? Are you feeding other foods aswell ?
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:19 pm

I will try blanching a small piece of zucchini rubbed with a little garlic. The Pleco took refuge on the piece of driftwood for half the day. I'm slowly lowering the PH in the quarantine tank from the 7.6. I expect it will take a few days to transition to the main tank, which I am slowly raising to a PH of 6.8
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Are you giving him algae wafers too?
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:31 am

The algae wafers I had were too old to use, so I will buy more tomorrow at LFS
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:16 am

O.K,have fun shopping and don't look at the fish,it's lethal Smile

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:58 am

Always takes bristlenose a couple days to settle in. Guess the filter looked like a safe place to hide. Happy shopping and bet you come back with more than just wafers Wink
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:30 am

Many unexpected events today, so I didn't make it to the LFS, but did blanch some zucchini - rubbed it lightly with garlic and rubber-banded it to a small stone and the Bristlenose loved it! I found the recommendation on this forum, so THANKS for that! I managed to lower the PH today in the quarantine tank from 7.6 to 7.3 over a 4 hour period. Temperature around 80 degrees. I work all day and night tomorrow, so I'll have to work on lowering the PH to 7.0 on Wednesday. I'll try taking a photo of the fish on Wednesday to post.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:54 am

Good to see your getting them sorted Good Job
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 am

bristlenose love those hangon filters! every time i have had one on a tank they have found their way into it! rather funny! Its actually a way to catch somke larger fry. the smaller ones cant fight the current and but the larger ones can so its a nice way to catch some Very Happy

good to see you taking the time with adjusting the pH too, shows dedication to the fish. cheers
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for the tip Doug! cheers

I have just got an order for 20 pcs of L144 from the first batch (4 centimetres at 3 months of age!). Was thinking how will I meet the challenge, and here you are with that brilliant idea of yours.
Back to top Go down
tankart
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 pm

How do I post pictures?
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 pm

tankart wrote:
How do I post pictures?

There is a step by step HERE. When you have uploaded the pictures they will have to be approved, so if you pm me or any of the other moderators to let us know you have pictures waiting for approval.
Back to top Go down
butterfly
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
butterfly

Female Number of posts : 152
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:28 am

Glad you found it Smile My son had a bristlenose that would find his way into the HOB filter no matter what he did. We finally decided it liked all the yummy stuff growing on the over flow lip Smile
I impatiently await pictures Laughing

carol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Fugative   Bristlenose Fugative Empty

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose Fugative
Page 1 of 1