Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Lowering PH Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Lowering PH Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lowering PH

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrotherG
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
BigBrotherG

Male Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Maritime Officer(3/O)/BN
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Lowering PH   Lowering PH EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Good evening all!! I have a litle problem with my ph, is about 8. Do you know how I can reduce this Ph safely without chemicals?? I already tried with RO water but does not help much. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Morice
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Morice

Male Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : studying Aquaculture.
Humor : good old british humor
Thank You Points : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lowering PH   Lowering PH EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey, probably the simplest way i have found to reducing tap ph is to age the water in a food grade tub/ other tank that has a nice bit of driftwood to stain the water and lower ph...Leave the new water in there for about a day and then add it to the tank. (this method works nicely for me, I use a two stage carbon filter to clear up the water a bit and the ph from there is roughly 7.2 to 7.6 depending on what time of the year it is.) after the water ages it's in a nice range to add.

It's possible to buy a peat filter media that will do the same a driftwood by adding tannins to the water.

Just talking from personal experience here Smile

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
BigBrotherG
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
BigBrotherG

Male Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Maritime Officer(3/O)/BN
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lowering PH   Lowering PH EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey Morice thanks for the reply! I was also thinking about peat but I dont know how much controlable is because i'm using RO water. Today for example i changed about 50% from my tank water with mixed water (RO/TAP 1 :4) and what do you think?? Nothing.. same result ph 8 same as before. The only thing is that now the kh and gh are lower. The best solution is with a ph controler but I can't afford now. The problem is that in the first weak of february I'm going at sea and if meanwhile my bn are breeding , in this ph the fyes have no chanse Lowering PH 484291715 . I need to fix this problem somehow. Thank you again for the idea!!!
Back to top Go down
Morice
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Morice

Male Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : studying Aquaculture.
Humor : good old british humor
Thank You Points : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lowering PH   Lowering PH EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

It's a tricky one having to leave your fish for any amount of time hey! I just went away for a week and my main trouble was the temperature outside being at 40 degrees most of the week.

Anyway, I wondered the same question about the peat media. Perhaps you could try fiddling with the Ro water again perhaps the PH changes if it's closer to full RO water (of course there's the lack of minerals to consider but perhaps wate until someone else has a suggestion on RO as iv only got a two stage carbon filter)

What you could do is purchase some aquarium peat media and add it to a tub/bucket that you will use for W/C and leave it for a while and then test it. If it works you might be able to pull down the ph over night, pull out the peat and add the water to your tank.

It's sounds a bit cheap but it's bound to help, as long as the water doesn't buffer it right back Smile perhaps some experimenting would be a good idea.

Also I have found doing smaller WC's like 10% to 25% are working alot smoother for my fish as it doesn't change the parameters so much and reduces stress on the fish.
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lowering PH   Lowering PH EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 am

Sorry for so late reply, I just joined. But maybe someone else will find it helpfull. Morice is right. But, if you're using activated carbon in your filter, just replace it with peat (turf). DO NOT use both at the same time. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Sponsored content

Lowering PH Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lowering PH   Lowering PH Empty

Back to top Go down

Lowering PH
Page 1 of 1