Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greetings from Clearwater Fl.

Go down 
+2
jim.and
Steve5495
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve5495
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Aquarium service
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Hello its a rainy friday here in Clearwater. I keep some bushies,and have breeding questions.Here's a couple What tank changes will induse spawning?I dont really want to seperate,Is there a way to get the fry enough to eat without super overfeeding?Thanks for looking. Steve
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Steve and Greetings from Clearwater Fl. 4168505391

You'll find info for triggering spawns HERE.

What sort of set up are your BN's in Question

Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 pm

I do 20% water changes (cold water) for a couple days to simulate rainy season in order to start them breeding... works for me Cool

Once there are fry I feed them blanched veggies(zucchini, brocolli, or de-shelled peas in rotation) twice a day to keep the water from fouling. I supplement with pure veggie flakes(HBH 8 Veggie) along with algae wafers, and vacuum the bottom every other day. It's a lot of work but so worth the effort!

*Disclaimer* This is just what I do and I'm sure there will be much more advice to come! Greetings from Clearwater Fl. 1153438146
Back to top Go down
Steve5495
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: wow thanks   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Jim,My greens are in a seventy with koi swords.I have lf browns and albinos in a fourty that has java ferns and cherry shrimp.the sf blue eyes live in a thirty. Jeff,does blanched mean steamed? How much water is changed when you vacuum every other day?
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes, by blanched I mean just slightly cooked(I boil mine for about 45 seconds). I do a really quick vac around where the wafer was, mebbe 5% so as not to upset the cycle.
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi And Welcome

I usually keep mine in with the parents, I don't do anything special for them to spawn, I do a regular water change every week, with water at the same temp as the tank as I keep other fish with them. They spawn regualarly, every 5 weeks or so.

When it comes to feeding I again just feed the young same as the big ones, algae wafers , and maybe once or twice if they are lucky i put some cucumber in. Everynow and then I may put something different in, like a cabbage leak, or slice of butternut squash, sometimes even a slice of sweet potato, but not often.

Main thing with young is to up the water changes to at least once every two days, with young ones I normally do about 10-15% every two days. After they have been out and about for about 3 weeks I move the young to a grow out tank.

This works for me, but others do a lot more.

cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Ya, Jon has a good point there.
Once I had too many bn and I moved my males out of breeding tank to stop the insanity. There were 2 albino females in that tank which I thought were too small/young to breed, and without any provocation I soon had eggs in the backseat of an upsidedown pickup truck!(an ornament which did not resemble a cave at all) Suspect

P.s. I,m growing out 7 of those babies (they are all brown) in 29g(3ft) tank in hopes to get a female albino/common X(redneck Greetings from Clearwater Fl. 1650918589 ) to join my albino pair in 33g(3ft)... have recently aquired 55g*4ft!* for growing out Greetings from Clearwater Fl. 1153438146

Last edited by Jeff on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steve5495
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 3:14 pm

I've also had 2 1/2 inchers breed small batches(clutches?)They were albino.first batch all brown,second mixed.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 am

Hiya Steve and Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Bristlenoseworld

Iv found with bn it's more conditioning than triggering that gets em going. You keep the girls well fed on algae discs, fresh veg and a protein rich snack once a week. They will be bursting with eggs. Then they will ambush your caved up male n he'll be on eggs in no time flat Smile
As stated above the fry are easy to feed, blanched veges work the best. Just leave them overnight and take out the leftovers in the morning as not to spoil the water. Don't forget a couple of hikari algae discs every other night as they have essential goodies in them for your bns health
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi &
Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Mooowelcomesig
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Clearwater Fl.   Greetings from Clearwater Fl. Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Clearwater Fl.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Introduction Section :: New Members-
Jump to: