Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

will this help with filters? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

will this help with filters? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

will this help with filters?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

will this help with filters? Empty
PostSubject: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 pm

i have 4 extra sponge filters. the kind that work with an air stone in the middle of them to get the flow of water going...

my question is if i put these filters in my sump with no air going to them. will this allow Bactria to grow in them anyways ? water is moving over them but it isn't moving through them
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 pm

absolutly Smile

This is common practice for a lot of people as it will provide a good solid surface area for the bacteria and it will also keep them loaded if even needed for a quick tank start up where you need a cycled filter.

Get them in there Cool
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 pm

good deal. im in the middle of building a fish room/ shelving for my house for more 20 gallon tanks.

guppies will be used to keep the bacteria fed while there is no plecos in the tank. will be growing out the baby guppies in most of these tanks
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 am

yeah, we do it all the time at the aquarium store where i work. We always have at least 10 sponge filters ready to go at the drop of a hat. Saved a poor fish or 2 i can tell you!
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 am

glad to hear it. i was sittin at my computer one day thinking about it. i have about 6 on hand. i dont use them in any of my tanks any more since i have moved into a sump. but with the fry being a problem with the sump set up i currently have. i have to re-design a sump overflow box intake or just an intake tube. so the fry cannot get into it.

so my new fish rack will have sponge filters and air lines ran to each. but this wont be for a month or 2. plenty of time to cycle all the sponges.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will this help with filters?   will this help with filters? Empty

Back to top Go down

will this help with filters?
Page 1 of 1