Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Angle of the Cave Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Angle of the Cave Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Angle of the Cave

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dange
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Draftsman/Kitesurfing, Belgian Shepherds, Plecos and South American Cichlids
Humor : It's all good
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-07

Angle of the Cave Empty
PostSubject: Angle of the Cave   Angle of the Cave EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 am

Hi guys, thought I would post a new theory I've come up with to explain why I have 30+ newly hatched Albino BN fry with large egg sacks still attached wriggling around my tank.

It's not an issue as there's only the Albinos and an L168 in the tank and the Cichlids were removed at the first signs of dad disappearing into the cave and not coming out but I would like to keep them in there until they're ready to come out in future.

I have been thinking hard about it for the last day and a bit and I've come to the conclusion that the fact the cave (round terra cotta pot plant base with a section cut out as an entrance) is on quite an angle (around 25-30 degrees) with the opening at the top of this. I've never had this issue of fry coming out of the cave so early before with my commons, but all of thier caves lay flat on the substrate in thier tanks. I had propped it at this angle so it sat on a rock to keep the entrance from being covered as the albinos have a fine sand substrate in thier tank.

So just as a note for everyone. I think it's best to have the cave level or if anything perhaps the back of the cave slightly higher than the entrance.

Hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Angle of the Cave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angle of the Cave   Angle of the Cave EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

this is something i played around with a while ago, i never had and difference with the angle of the cave.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Angle of the Cave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angle of the Cave   Angle of the Cave EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,I have always had the front of all my caves tilted upwards ( I use clay tubes and drilled wood ) and never had a problem at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Angle of the Cave Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angle of the Cave   Angle of the Cave Empty

Back to top Go down

Angle of the Cave
Page 1 of 1