Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Is this normal? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Is this normal? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this normal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Number of posts : 25
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-08-02

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 10:29 am

My male bristlenose has wedged himself into a tiny hole in my driftwood (well all of him that will fit, I can still see his tail) and Ive not seen him come out for days even to eat. He has turned around in the hole so I know he isn't stuck but is it normal for him to stay there all the time? He was in good condition last time I saw him but I'm worried he isn't getting enough food.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 1:32 pm

maybe he has eggs in there? or dont you have a female? most people destroy wood and ornaments to get to their stuck bns. its up to you how worried you are about him
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a juvi in there with him but its only just over 6cm and grown considerably in the last few weeks, I don't think its old enough to breed even if it is female. I think hes there by choice so I don't want to dislodge him and stress him out. If it sounds like normal breeding behaviour I'll leave him be and make sure theres always a bit of veg out if he wants it.

Is it common for them to get stuck?
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Male Number of posts : 224
Humor : Totally, if a little dark.
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-04

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 pm

I would move the piece of driftwood just to have a look.
They are not that are not that sensitive and don't seem to get upset when things get moved around.
I do it every week when I do cleaning duties and they just look on.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Obviously I was wrong about my female being too young, there are lots of beautiful little fry in the cave now.
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Ony wrote:
Obviously I was wrong about my female being too young, there are lots of beautiful little fry in the cave now.
Congratulations Is this normal? 1650918589 on the pitter patter of little fins in your tank.
Marty Is this normal? 1514952399
Back to top Go down
jaffa1963
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
jaffa1963

Male Number of posts : 102
Job/hobbies : railway worker
Humor : victor meldrew
Registration date : 2011-05-21

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 11:06 pm

well done
Back to top Go down
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Carolan

Female Number of posts : 123
Job/hobbies : plant mom
Humor : definitely!!!!
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 am

How wonderful and exciting for you! What a surprise too- first the tension and then the surprise of little babes. Love this story and post- just made my week for sure! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks guys Very Happy

Ive not spotted any since this one little adventurer disappeared off the front glass yesterday afternoon. Dad is still on guard so fingers crossed I get a few healthy babies but not so many that I can't safely re-home them.

Is this normal? 20121030_110114
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Ony wrote:
Thanks guys Very Happy

Ive not spotted any since this one little adventurer disappeared off the front glass yesterday afternoon. Dad is still on guard so fingers crossed I get a few healthy babies but not so many that I can't safely re-home them.

Is this normal? 20121030_110114
Nice looking tank you have there.
Marty Is this normal? 1514952399
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Thats only a couple of inches of it XD

Is this normal? DSC_5130
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Ony wrote:
Thats only a couple of inches of it XD

Is this normal? DSC_5130
Thats really nice. I like how you have not overdone it with the plants.
Looks nicely balanced. A all round good looking healthy tank Is this normal? 1153438146 .
Marty cheers
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this tank.

TBH I love jungly overgrown look but couldn't afford to buy any where near the volume of plants it would take to furnish a tank this size. Its taken the best part of a year to grow in to this from about 50 plants (the entire lawn started as 7 plantlets!) so its sort of evolved by itself. It is a nice way to do a tank if you accept that its not going to look perfect overnight.
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Ony wrote:
Thanks, I'm really enjoying this tank.

TBH I love jungly overgrown look but couldn't afford to buy any where near the volume of plants it would take to furnish a tank this size. Its taken the best part of a year to grow in to this from about 50 plants (the entire lawn started as 7 plantlets!) so its sort of evolved by itself. It is a nice way to do a tank if you accept that its not going to look perfect overnight.
I think patience is something everybody that has a fish-tank has to learn.
It looks like it was worth the effort.
Do you use fertilizers and CO2 ????
Marty Is this normal? 1650918589
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 pm

More ferts than you can shake a stick at but no CO2. I started an aquaponics experiment in the over head filter trays in an effort to keep nitrates below tap levels (50ppm here) but it worked too well. Left me with the option of throwing away lots of pretty plants or a light macro dosing regime, I went with the ferts. Of course once I did that everything started to sprout, I don't know the concentration of the stuff I use but I now throw in about 10ml every 2/3 days to maintain measurable nitrate and phosphate levels.

Theres a section of my filter tray

Is this normal? 2012-06-22%2016.11.14
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 pm

[quote="Ony"]More ferts than you can shake a stick at but no CO2. I started an aquaponics experiment in the over head filter trays in an effort to keep nitrates below tap levels (50ppm here) but it worked too well. Left me with the option of throwing away lots of pretty plants or a light macro dosing regime, I went with the ferts. Of course once I did that everything started to sprout, I don't know the concentration of the stuff I use but I now throw in about 10ml every 2/3 days to maintain measurable nitrate and phosphate levels.

Theres a section of my filter tray

Very clever idea to soak up the nitrates. Plus it looks pretty cool. You could even grow tomatoes off your fish tank Wink
A tasty way to use the fishtank.
Ferts are pretty important. I guess you don't have such a high concentration of plants for CO2.
Nice setup.
Marty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ony
Small Fry
Small Fry
Ony

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm

I've been tempted by CO2 but initially didn't go for it after reading about people who have gassed their fish. By the time I looked at it again I had this big tank (the most common visitor comment is that you could take a bath in it) so when I worked it out, injected CO2 was expensive even offset it against what I was spending on excel. DIY CO2 has a reputation to for being unreliable which doesn't really appeal when I'm getting decent results without it. I am tempted to go back to excel as I'm sure the hygrophila looked a bit more lush when I was using it.
Back to top Go down
marty14
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
marty14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Ony wrote:
I've been tempted by CO2 but initially didn't go for it after reading about people who have gassed their fish. By the time I looked at it again I had this big tank (the most common visitor comment is that you could take a bath in it) so when I worked it out, injected CO2 was expensive even offset it against what I was spending on excel. DIY CO2 has a reputation to for being unreliable which doesn't really appeal when I'm getting decent results without it. I am tempted to go back to excel as I'm sure the hygrophila looked a bit more lush when I was using it.
I don't use CO2 myself but I give my tanks EasyCarbo from Easy life. A little each day does wonders. Also it has the added benefit of keeping black beard algae at bay.
Marty Is this normal? 2333747070
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this normal?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: