Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Hello from a newbie!!! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Hello from a newbie!!! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from a newbie!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gronlaura
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
gronlaura

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-07

Hello from a newbie!!! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello from a newbie!!! 1514952399 Hello! I am new to fishkeeping and have a 75 gal FW community tank with 9 neon dwarf rainbows, 5 scissortail rasboras and 10 golden pristella tetras. My tank has been cycled for about 4 weeks, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, pH 7.2 and temp 77. I have been reading your posts, but have a couple of questions about adding a BN to my tank.

1. I know you should wait to add bottom dwellers - can I add one now or should I wait a bit longer?

2. It has also been suggested that I get heater guards to protect the BN. I have two 250W Aqueon Pro Heaters - they are a composite material, not glass. Are the guards necessary?

I'm very excited to get my BN to complete my stocking list and will be spending time reading the posts here.

Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 3:21 am

If you are jut adding the BN, you should be fine. Adding one fish to that stocking list and tank size should cause a minimal increas in the bio load. However adding the BN plus a lot of other fish would increase the bio load drastically and possibly cause another cycle.

Make sure there is wood for the BN!

As for the heater, I have no idea. I have kept mine with both types. I have experienced no problems with either.

As a general rule of thumb, I always do a water change a day or two before getting new fish.

The key to success is knowledge and patience in this hobby, good luck!
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 am

Hi and welcome to Bristlenoseworld Hello from a newbie!!! 1514952399 I always use heater guards on my heaters just incase. That is a big tank you have there,what are the dimensions of it?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gronlaura
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
gronlaura

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the welcomes!

It's a standard 75 gallon - 48 wide x 18 deep x 21 high. Will be picking up 6 pristella tetras on Sunday. Was planning to add the BN 2 weeks later.

Another question - is it better for a new tank and newbie aquarist to get a small juvie or a little bigger fish?

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi, if your tank is fully cycled and you are going to feed him/her a good diet then it doesn't really matter what size you get.It is nice to get a small one and watch them grow and develop but it is entirely up to you.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaffa1963
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
jaffa1963

Male Number of posts : 102
Job/hobbies : railway worker
Humor : victor meldrew
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Hiya
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie!!!   Hello from a newbie!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from a newbie!!!
Page 1 of 1