Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New fish - I.D please Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New fish - I.D please Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New fish - I.D please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
EmmaDStrange
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 4
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-04-28

New fish - I.D please Empty
PostSubject: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 pm

My first ever tropical fish, they were sold to me as albino bristlenose plecos but I can't find any pictures that look anything like them, can anyone tell me what they are? They are little under an inch long, pretty tiny.

New fish - I.D please IMAG0728_zpscfe36b48

New fish - I.D please IMAG0736_zps8e11d915

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 pm

they are a Corydoras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corydoras

lots of different species, just like the plecos. I can't help you on the specific species or number
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 am

Shame Doug and you worked in an lfs lol

They look like Panda Corydoras to me. Not an uncommon catfish and far from being a bristlenose
Back to top Go down
EmmaDStrange
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:03 am

Ah, I see, well they'll still thrive in my aquarium it would seem, but I only bought two and the internet says they like schools.
That petshop have lied to me for the last time! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 am

Hi,yes would be better to get another 2 or 3 or a few more if your tank is large?If the shop doesn't know a cory from a bristlenose it has huge problems.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EmmaDStrange
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks bristlenoses, they are just introduced into a 3 foot 30gallon (120L?) tank that contains 3 fancy goldfish (yes I know, but the tank is about 25C because of the tank being in a room full of heated reptile vivariums). I don't know whether I could really get any more in there, as I'm sure I'm pushing my luck already, I do have 2 50gallon+ filters in there and water change frequently so water quality shouldn't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

If they were sold to you as bristlenose you could take them back and say they are not bristlenoses at all and get a refund.I certainly would.

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am

Wouldn't be such a good idea to have bristlenoses with goldfish because of the food they eat.The bristlenoses will eat the food you feed to the goldfish and that can cause problems with bloat in the bristlenose.Also bristlenoses need bog wood and hiding places,caves etc.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EmmaDStrange
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Wouldn't be such a good idea to have bristlenoses with goldfish because of the food they eat.The bristlenoses will eat the food you feed to the goldfish and that can cause problems with bloat in the bristlenose.Also bristlenoses need bog wood and hiding places,caves etc.

Bristlenoses Very Happy

You know, I didn't know that about the goldfish food, thanks for telling me. I'll keep these little fish I think, perhaps I'll set up a whole new spare tank for them, they're rather cute and I'm attached to them already, and as they cost me next to nothing I could get loads more.
I'll see how they get on with the goldfish though,
Thanks again Bristlenoses
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

You got good responses! I love my Cory catfish!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New fish - I.D please   New fish - I.D please Empty

Back to top Go down

New fish - I.D please
Page 1 of 1