Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 68
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins Empty
PostSubject: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:07 am

My some of my BNP have red 1/4 to 1/2 way down on their pectoral fins. Does anyone know what this is and how to cure it on Ancistrus

here are 2 of my plecos with rthe red on the pectoral fins

Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins 343oei1
Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins 2r4stbm
Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins 4fwv9z
Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins 10eitrc
Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins 1ffdav
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySun May 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Not sure exactly why that happens. I think it's called hemorrhagic fin. I treated mine with Pima fix and it cured it both times.

Anybody else try something that worked?
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:27 pm

If it is septicemia
Quick treatment is essential! Firstly check water parameters (pH should be 6.5 - 7.2 and ammonia should be 0). Fix these and progress to treatment. A broad spectrum anti-biotic should cure the problem, providing there has not been too much internal damage done. Medicated food may also help. Sadly, it may be too late and the fish may die regardless.

A small amount of aquarium salt added to the aquarium will help with stress and will help restore fluid levels to a normal level within the fishes body. Dilute in water from tank .
Please keep us posted .
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySun May 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi,It's a bacterial infection and needs sorting asap.Handling them will only cause more stress so isn't really a good idea.Good water perameters and a clean tank is essential.Do you gravel vac regularly and do regular tank maintenance with water changes aswell?what size tank do you have and what filter?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Hi,It's a bacterial infection and needs sorting asap.Handling them will only cause more stress so isn't really a good idea.Good water perameters and a clean tank is essential.Do you gravel vac regularly and do regular tank maintenance with water changes aswell?what size tank do you have and what filter?

Bristlenoses Very Happy

all the time anywhewre fro 1 to 4 times a week . I found out from plant catfish it is from fighting . That is why I dont see it on any of the young animals
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:37 pm

I wouldn't say this is from fighting as fighting shows other signs like ragged fins especialy in long fins but that is just my opinion.Whatever the cause the treatment needs to be an antibacterial and also maybe a fin rot treatment.What size is the tank they are in ?
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyFri May 24, 2013 12:50 am

all size tanks I did meds they did nothing. A few people told me the same thing. that once the sepreated their BNP the red fins went away. another tghing non of the fry under 2 inches get it only the fry 2 inches and over
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyFri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi again,how long have they had this ? I am wondering if it is just normal colouration as all my super reds have this colour in the same place.It isn't noticeable on the smaller ones,so maybe it is just normal.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyFri May 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Like I said it is from fighting. If it was a bacteral infection the red would be in the muscle not at the first half of the fin
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I sent one of my calico females that had red pectoral fins to see what that's all about. Too many people telling different stories . Some say fighting , others say disease. Now I will them exactly what is going on. I should get the results back of the Histopathology test in a weeks time, I'll let everyone know what were the results.
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Very cool vinnman, where did you send her? I have seen this popping up more and more now on the internet. I have even seen fish for sale on AB that show the red.
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:27 am

Trace Peterson, DVM, PhD, (870) 575-8137

please send fish by FedEx overnight as the U.S. Postal Service is very unreliable.

Our Lab shipping address:

Trace Peterson, DVM, PhD
Director, Fish Disease Diagnostic Lab
Aquaculture and Fisheries Center
University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Mail Slot 4912
1200 N. University Dr.
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 am

cant wait for the results
Back to top Go down
GFYS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:02 pm

fishlady wrote:
cant wait for the results
Me too even thought I only have about 6 plecos left in that tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins   Help some of my Ancistrus have red  on their  pectoral fins Empty

Back to top Go down

Help some of my Ancistrus have red on their pectoral fins
Page 1 of 1