Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Calico/Marble L144? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Calico/Marble L144? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Calico/Marble L144?

Go down 
+2
Bristlenoses
Chaase
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

Calico/Marble L144? Empty
PostSubject: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:32 am

Calico/Marble L144? 97057811

Hi all, I have a friend who has these L144 juvies with brown patches... Is it possible that they are Marble/calico L144???
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:51 am

Babies were bred straight from L144 adults...
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:58 am

Hi,no these are L144,they sometimes have brown or black patches on them.I have 3 out of a small spawn of 25 that have black patches on them.One of them has a large deep black patch that covers half of one side of it's body.I was going to keep it back and try to develope the black more.I am not sure if I will though.

It may be a good idea to seperate the parents and get them new mates if they keep producing these.Unless of course he might want to try and do something with it.Which would probably take a very long time though.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 12:35 am

The owner was going to try & selectively breed the young to get the colour to spread, I think she has 2 pairs doing this.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Good Luck to her I may have a go myself.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:17 am

Bristlenoses wrote:
Hi,no these are L144,they sometimes have brown or black patches on them.I have 3 out of a small spawn of 25 that have black patches on them.One of them has a large deep black patch that covers half of one side of it's body.I was going to keep it back and try to develope the black more.I am not sure if I will though.

It may be a good idea to seperate the parents and get them new mates if they keep producing these.Unless of course he might want to try and do something with it.Which would probably take a very long time though.

Bristlenoses Very Happy

These are not L144. Bristlenoses, haven't you see this before?

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2487

If we claim to be interested in BN's, shouldn't we care about proper nomenclature and L#?
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:06 am

and sp(4) are also identical...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=ancistrus_sp(4)&image_id=6984

The adults she has were purchased as L144 from a long time breeder..
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:53 am

kaban a lot of people refer to these lemons as L144 even though they are not true L144.I didn't want to go into all the ins and outs of it and felt that it wasn't that much of a big deal.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CountBryce
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
CountBryce

Male Number of posts : 46
Job/hobbies : Uni student studying science. Games: sc2, Dota2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Buying some fry off this breeder should be here Tuesday next week. I'm super excited she sent me pics of the adults and they are gorgeous fish. She's selling the fry for only $10 each too which I'm very happy with considering I saw some 5-6cms at my lfs the other day for $100 haha.
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 1:19 am

Chaase wrote:
and sp(4) are also identical...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=ancistrus_sp(4)&image_id=6984

The adults she has were purchased as L144 from a long time breeder..
Identical? Hmm..
"L144 is rare. The fish sold as L144 is a different form, most likely based on Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. This form resembling L144 can be found under as Ancistrus sp(4). The offspring of the only known import of this fish was line-bred to "fix" the colour form. All true L144 specimens are offspring from this single male."
That's apparently written by somebody, who knows a bit more than us. And Ingo Seidel -my prophet Wink - agrees.

I breed them too and if you want, I can sell them to you as L046, but it won't make them so.

Bristlenoses, lets all call Ancistrus sp. 'Great Dane' or 'an onion' from now on, at some point some mod will say it's not much of big deal. We'll be the crowd and it's never wrong. Wink
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 1:40 am

Sorry was ment to write:
sp(4) are identical to my picture....

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 6:57 am

they are also known as lemon yellow, blue eyes, black eyes, A. sp. 'yellow' and sp(4)

the only known L144 was the original one that was found and from what iv read in my books they havnt been found since. Unless there is recent documentation on them that i dont know of. I dont consider myself an expert on bristlenoses and im only here to give advise on what i know, not what i dont know.

sp(4) have been called L144 for quite a while now and its quite hard to break the habit of 1000s of people who still do. kaban if your willing to do a big writeup explaining why they should be called sp(4) and not L144 id be happy to see to it becoming a sticky so all current and future members know not to call the yellow colour morph by the number L144
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 7:28 am

Ok. The writeup does not have to be big, here it is:
Ancistrus sp (4) shall be called Ancistrus sp (4) because it is Ancistrus sp (4) and it is not L144. L144 is. For the same reason Ancistrus sp (4) shall not be called L183, L200, L399 or chocolate snack bar.

Just an example: for many years many people had many different believes about shape of earth or solar system, or universe. Some were burning the others at the stake for it. And still, just because they were 1000s, it did not make them right.

Do I tend to exaggerate? Yes, I do. Laughing

But seriously, if even mods don't care, nomenclature will remain in mess, LFSs will keep selling different species under different names, and people will keep buying the fish without any info. How many ads have you seen, people giving away gibiceps for free because it'd outgrown their 10gal tank?

Is this forum not dedicated to Ancistrus sp? Of all, we should know better then.

Last edited by kaban on Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 8:00 am

hmmm nah too small
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,do you know anyone who has any true L144's Kaban? Where did these lemon bristlenoses come from ? Also my job as a moderator is to moderate a forum and keep it clean,happy and friendly and to help out on what i know and I don't have to be an expert on everything to be a moderator.I decided that in this instant it wasn't a big deal and didn't need to go into the ins and outs of L144's,it doesn't mean that I think the whole L144 topic is not a big deal.The thing is,where are all the L144's ?

I think you are going a bit over the top.Whatever local stores decide to call them (and I doubt any store will call them L144's anyway) they are bristlenoses and all bristlenoses have very similar if not the same characteristics and care needs.I call mine lemon bristlenoses and if i sell any this is what i sell them as.

If you look on the link to sp (4) it actualy says that it's common name is L144.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? EmptySun May 26, 2013 2:42 am

Righto!

I'm going to come in here with a final gem of wisdom.

The argument between common names and proper names/scientific names is age old. As people who are enthused about the topic of bristlenose it is probably wise of us to be across both the sets of names. Most people on here know that there is a difference between the real L144 and the morph of the common bristlenose commonly called the L144. Most people however, would not know what the specific differences are. The real L144, depending on which source you listen too, is anywhere from non-existent to extremely rare. I know I have never seen one in the flesh.

There are people who take such issues seriously, others don't. Personally, I don't pay it too much time. It certainly pays to be abreast of the nomenclature but it is not needed. Is there going to be confusion, sure. That's just part of of the problem with running with two sets of names.

Finally, and i can't stress this enough. There are far more important things to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calico/Marble L144?   Calico/Marble L144? Empty

Back to top Go down

Calico/Marble L144?
Page 1 of 1