Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How soon can bns be sexed? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How soon can bns be sexed? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How soon can bns be sexed?

Go down 
+5
kaban
CelticWulf
Chaase
Doug
froglady99
9 posters
AuthorMessage
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

Female Number of posts : 23
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-27

How soon can bns be sexed? Empty
PostSubject: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 am

My bn is probably about 2 inches long right now, and tiny bristles are visible on his nose. I know male bns get longer bristles than females do, but how soon does that happen? Is there any other way to tell males and females apart?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 am

male
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 am

Yep Smile Boy.

Usually around 5-6cm is when they start being sexable. Males develop - as yours have - bumps/stubble... I have not seen a female BN develop any small whiskers before 9cm, even then, it was only once i added another female to the tank - A show of 'top dog' maybe??

I have not been wrong yet with a BN & his 'stubble' Smile
Back to top Go down
CelticWulf
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
CelticWulf

Female Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Vet tech/ fish & dogs, reading, music
Registration date : 2013-05-24

PostSubject: So mine are all females???   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

I have three baby albino bristlenoses that are now 2.3 inches long (6 cm) and there is not a bristle to be seen on any of their noses. Since it was posted above that their bristles should show by about 5-6 cm), could that indicate then that mine may be females? That would be great if they're all females as I already have two males and was hoping for females. cheers
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Big chances for females. The guys supposed show some already.
Unless they're super-slow developing males Wink
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 pm

female
Back to top Go down
grngito
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Home Acrylic Buisness
Humor : Bare finned and pregnant
Registration date : 2013-10-15

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Another way is to look for the reddish mark just behind thier eyes. Sometimes you can sex them at an early age this way. On my Albinos and Super Reds it is almost heart shaped and appeared long before the bristles. Males have a broader head than the females also.
At least this helps me sex them earlier.

Have Fun:D 

Back to top Go down
volo morior
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 12
Thank You Points : -1
Registration date : 2013-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

So i ordered some BN's and i asked for the largest possible male and female (basically just to be sure i got a male and female and not a male with little whiskers mistaken for a female or something) so they got in 6 3.5 inch plecs, 3 fem and 3 male, though they said it's no guarantee (they generally don't carry BN's-they do more out of the ordinary) but said that they were the most likely male and fem the vendor had for them. So my question is will it be very obvious when i go to pick mine out who is male and who is fem? I know they have like a 2 week thing that i can return if need be but i'd rather not if possible. I know it says here that it is obvious prior to this size, but how obvious will it be at 3-3.5 inches?
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 am

Very obvious. 3" = serious bristles.
Back to top Go down
volo morior
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 12
Thank You Points : -1
Registration date : 2013-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm

it's still hard for me to tell male and female apart, i don't know what "a lot" of bristles looks like really
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 am

ok, go to my gallery, first pic (p3261290) is female;
3rd (p3121157) is the guy, he was about 3,5" at the time, but 3" won't have much less;
my avatar is 4,5"
Back to top Go down
AquaticKEN
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: How soon can bns be sexed?   How soon can bns be sexed? EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm

grngito wrote:
Another way is to look for the reddish mark just behind thier eyes. Sometimes you can sex them at an early age this way. On my Albinos and Super Reds it is almost heart shaped and appeared long before the bristles. Males have a broader head than the females also.
At least this helps me sex them earlier.

Have Fun:D 

Anyone know more about this sexing technique? Red markings/shapes behind the eyes. I'd like to try it on my BN and see how accurate it is.
Back to top Go down

How soon can bns be sexed?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Talk-
Jump to: