Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

Female Number of posts : 23
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-02-27

Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? Empty
PostSubject: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 7:55 am

When I got my bn, I put him in a 20 gallon long tank with 7 female bettas, 2 male platies, and a mystery snail. I've since lost the platies, snail, and two of the bettas, so my bn just has 5 female bettas as tankmates now. For a long time it seemed like my bn, Krenshaw, was doing fine with the other fish. I noticed after a while that he wasn't holding up his dorsal fin or spreading out his tail fin, but I didn't think too much of it. Well, I've since realized that his tail fin is gone and his dorsal fin might be too, but it's hard to tell. I don't remember seeing the bettas picking on him, but since the water quality is good, I strongly suspect that they had something to do with the problem.

I've tried using Melafix and just keeping an eye on Krenshaw, but his tail fin hasn't grown back. He seems fine otherwise, but I feel terrible that I didn't realize his problem sooner.

It seems like the best option at the moment is to put him in my 5-gallon quarantine tank for treatment. Since the Melafix doesn't seem to be helping, what medications would you recommend?

As far as long-term solutions, I don't think my 5-gallon tank would work very well for him, so I'm considering putting a divider in the 20 long to separate him from the bettas. I've made a tank divider out of plastic canvas in the past, and it's nice because it can be moved when necessary and it allows water to flow through it. If I do put a divider in the tank, how much space will he need? He's probably about 2 1/2 inches long. I need to make sure the bettas still have plenty of space to swim around, but I want him to have enough space for himself too.

Sabrina

Back to top Go down
smallfry
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Sabrina, It's possible that there was older injury caused by bacteria or fungus that hasn't healed. You stated that the water quality was good, so the issue may have passed and now just taking time to heal. It just doesn't seem that Bettas are aggressive enough to harm a BN.

How long has it been since the loss of the other fish? Did any of the lost fish expire due to bacteria or fungus?
Back to top Go down
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 pm

The other fish died within the last two months, if I'm remembering right. One of the bettas died of bloat (I think she ate too much), and the other one didn't seem to be eating enough, and by the time I realized how bad off she was, it was too late. The platies didn't show any obvious health problems except for maybe hiding and being less active for a few days before they died. I had had one of the platies for a year and 8 months, I think, so he probably just died of old age. I have no idea how old the other one was.

So I really don't know if there were any bacterial problems before, and I haven't noticed any fungal problems either. I'm also not quite sure how long Krenshaw's fins have been messed up because it happened so gradually. If it would help, I can post pictures of him tonight or tomorrow (I'm on a break at work right now).

Sabrina
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 am

When you say the water quality is good what are the levels?

Fin rot is an issue that is generally brought on by poor water quality but can be brought on by other things.

I would suggest going for a more potent treatments. Something like a Multicure would be good. something copper based. Just remember to run it half dose.

Back to top Go down
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 7:50 am

Last time I tested the water (I think it was about two weeks ago), Ammonia and Nitrites were 0, Nitrates were about 10, and pH was about 8.2. I'll try to test the water again tomorrow and let you know what the results are.
Back to top Go down
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 7:16 am

I checked my records on Friday, and it turns out I remembered the stats wrong. Last time I had tested the water nitrates were 20, not 10. Anyway, I tested the water again on Friday, and Ammonia and Nitrites were 0, pH was 8.2, and Nitrates were around 40 (it's hard to tell exactly, since the card for reading test results goes straight from 20 to 40). I know that's a bit high for nitrates, but I ended up missing a water change, so that's why. Anyway, I changed 30% of the water after testing it, so nitrates should be at a safe level now.

The other day I noticed that one of my bettas wasn't feeling well, and she died today. I don't know what was wrong with her--maybe the high nitrates?

This is getting really frustrating. I've been trying to take good care of my fish, but things aren't going as well as I'd hoped. My local stores hardly have anything in the way of fish medication. They have medications for ick and fungus, as well as Melafix, but that's it. I've read online that Maracyn-two is good, but the only place I found it online charges $30 for shipping.

Do any of you know of a good online store where I can get some decent medications?
Back to top Go down
smallfry
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi Sabrina, sorry to hear about another lost fish. I am not a Betta keeper so forgive me about asking... Do you have good filtration and aeration in the tank? Also, what temp do you keep the tank? Your PH is higher than I keep my plecos at. I stay south of 7.0 PH but not sure about requirements for Bettas.

I have had good luck with an online store called "That Fish Place" but diagnosing the proper medication will be beyond my ability.

--moderators, If there is a rule against naming a vendor, please strike me down with furious vengeance.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 am

A pH of 8.2 is too high for bristlenose & bettas.

Work on getting it lower...
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 1:37 am

A pH of 8.2 is too high for bristlenose & bettas.

Work on getting it lower...
Back to top Go down
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 4:42 am

My source water has a pH of 8.4. I was going to lower it, but from everything I've read and been told by other fish owners (including betta owners), it's better to just keep the pH stable than to try to make it perfect. Also, I have a book that says bettas and bns can live in a very wide pH range--from 5.5 to 9.5.
Back to top Go down
froglady99
Small Fry
Small Fry
froglady99

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 7:22 am

I just realized that I forgot to respond to the smallfry's post. I actually have two filters on my tank. They are the kind that hang on the back. One is for a 20-40 gallon tank, I think, and the other is for a 5-15 gallon tank. The smaller one is there so I can easily transfer it to my 5-gallon tank in case I need to set it up as a hospital or quarantine tank. In the meantime, it adds extra filtration and aeration to the 20 gallon long tank. The tank temperature is usually in the lower 80s--it varies a little if the house is warmer or cooler than usual.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 am

no rules against recommending a good shop Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?   Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fins in really bad shape--possible issue with Betta tankmates?
Page 1 of 1