Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose sexing ? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose sexing ? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristlenose sexing ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kiriyama
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 26
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Bristlenose sexing ? Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi , I'm very new here , I own 2 Bristlenose plec. I bought them both from seperate shops, one is light and one is dark. They are both about an inch and a half just now. How big do they need to be before I can establish which sex they are ? If I can get photos up would someone be able to help ?
Any correspondence greatly appreciated...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skippy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 97
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am

It is sometimes possible to determine their sex from some different cues but the most reliable method is to wait and see if they develop bristles. I'm not sure of the conversions but around 5cm which I think is around 2in they should start to bristle up if they are male. Colours mean nothing.
Back to top Go down
ayS
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
ayS

Male Number of posts : 58
Job/hobbies : My Baby Daughter, Plecos, and Video Games
Humor : What's So Funny?
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 2:35 am

hard to sex young. but if they have a head full of bristle's chances are they are male. the one with not that much bristle could be female.
Back to top Go down
kiriyama
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 8:20 am

Fingers crossed , when they are stuck to the glass they both have a barb on each cheek or side of mouth , they both have two small "bumps" on there face forward of the eyes. Be nice if was 2 girlies , no scrapping , the small cichlids they are in with think they can give them a hard time as it is....... Cheers :bounce:
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 9:57 am

The Females will only get bristles on her lip if she gets any at all where as the male will get them further up his face middle of the eyes but just below the eyes if that makes sence lol

if there are any stumps like bristles developing on the face chances are it will be male becasue like i said females only get them on the top lip if any at all
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

Female Number of posts : 190
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose sexing ?   Bristlenose sexing ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 5:51 pm

They'll only get bristles on their lip if their female? Oh my, I just found out my supposed male is female Shocked
Looks like a wonderful excuse to go and get me a new plec! cheers
Back to top Go down

Bristlenose sexing ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Bristlenose Issues-
Jump to: