Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What is wrong with my longfin? =( Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

What is wrong with my longfin? =( Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is wrong with my longfin? =(

Go down 
+2
Kurosaki J
zane
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

Male Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : Bartender/Graphic Designer
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-28

What is wrong with my longfin? =( Empty
PostSubject: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 am

Hey guys the other morning I woke up to my longfin being extremely fat. He even has stretch marks on the side of his body now. His anus looks kind of swolen too. It was very difficult to get a decent pic but its the best i could do at the moment. He is still active and he was eating again today but he doesnt look good at all. =(. any ideas?

What is wrong with my longfin? =( DSCF0804
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:57 pm

High zane , exactly how fat was he? from the picture he doesn't look to bad, you want to start getting really worried when it looks like he has a golf ball in his belly:
This is bloat and a royal pain in the donkey to treat.
I'd try giving him a feed of peas , it has a mild laxative effect and might help clean him out a bit.
I hope he comes good for you zane , he's a ripper little fish.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 10:26 am

i agree with J zane.....he doesnt look that bad at the moment but i would do wat J said and feed some pea's.....just in case....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 pm

i had the same thing with my first breeding Albino male he started like that and got worse it looks like bloat starting.... feed some peas like already said and do a 30% water change

Hope he gets better soon
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Try some Epson Salts
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:10 pm

epson salts works well but i preffer octozin made by waterlife it works realy well on bloat and not exspensive hope all works out for you
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:57 pm

deano wrote:
epson salts works well but i preffer octozin made by waterlife it works realy well on bloat and not exspensive hope all works out for you
octozin is the one waterlife product I do not have....
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 pm

octozin and myaxin is the only ones i use
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Got Myxazin and also Protozin and Sterazin
Do not use them much but find Sterazin along with Interpet Anti Bacteria No 9 works a treat for flukes in my discus (not had them for a while thankfully)
Back to top Go down
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 3:05 pm

just checked on him today and he is about double the size. =(. he didnt touch the peas and i put some epsom salts in there which havent seemed to do anything. ill go down the fish shop tomorrow and see if they have any of the products you mentioned. i hope he's going to be ok. Ill keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:29 pm

That sucks , maybe it is time to travel the chemical path. Keep us posted zane.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 pm

try rubbing garlic on the peas or soak the peas in a pan with a garlic clove
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 pm

816johnv wrote:

problem with that though john if its bloat you shouldnt feed for at least 5 days and just use octozin with nothing else added to the water that way it gives the gut chance to unblock they will try to eat but just spit it back out so really its just a wast of time trying to feed ive had this a couple of times when adding new wild caught mbuna to the tank but never lost any. if you catch it early enough its easy to treat.
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:30 pm

zane wrote:
just checked on him today and he is about double the size. =(. he didnt touch the peas and i put some epsom salts in there which havent seemed to do anything. ill go down the fish shop tomorrow and see if they have any of the products you mentioned. i hope he's going to be ok. Ill keep you posted.

hi zane you only need octozin to treat for bloat dont let them sell you all sorts if youve added the epson salts do a 40% water change first or if you can move the fish to a smaller tank. that way you dont need to use as many tablets 1 tablet treats 5 gallons good luck with him mate
Back to top Go down
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:29 am

Great news. This morning I went to my LFS and they told me that it was doubtful that he would survive, however they sold me a little pill with MZ pressed on the back and told me to only put a quater of it in with him. He is in a temporary 10litre tank. They told me it was a fish antibiotic. I went home and did so and I checked on him this afternoon and he is back to his normal size and his bubble butt looks better Smile. I did a water change and put some zuchini in there for him just now. He hasnt touched it yet and he is extremely weak, but fingers crossed he will recover. Another thing I'd like to mention is that his eyes are very deep in his eye sockets now. for a second i thought his eyes were gone. has anyone encountered this before? Thank you very much for all your responses.
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Good to hear he might be feeling better zane, I can't say I've encountered the sunken eye caper personally -- usually you'll see it when you buy under nourished fish from the shop, the belly will sucked into the stomach cavity and the eyes sunken in to the skull, but sorry no advice as to how to fix it-- surely someone else
here will have an idea.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 pm

deano wrote:
816johnv wrote:

problem with that though john if its bloat you shouldnt feed for at least 5 days and just use octozin with nothing else added to the water that way it gives the gut chance to unblock they will try to eat but just spit it back out so really its just a wast of time trying to feed ive had this a couple of times when adding new wild caught mbuna to the tank but never lost any. if you catch it early enough its easy to treat.

My bad mate i was thinking we was trying to get the fish to eat for some reason
Back to top Go down
zane
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
zane

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 7:07 pm

ah bad news. i think the antibiotic became too much for him. he passed this morning. devestated! he was one of my favourite fish. so friendly too!
RIP batfink! Sad

What is wrong with my longfin? =( P7180701
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Damn shame zane , commiserations to you mate.
You can set up a memorial thread in the fish grave yard if you wanted.
R.I.P Batfink you crazy catfish rest in peace
cheers J
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 9:56 pm

sorry to here that he as past away mate but theirs no quick cure for bloat. and when i read he was looking ok after the mz tablet i thought you had found a cure for him. rest in peace
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 am

Sorry to hear about your fish, I lost a small juvie to bloat last week no idea why rest of occupants in tank are fine
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 am

gutted for you zane... Evil or Very Mad
I remember a thread we started about friendly bn's and batfink was the one who would sit on your hand....

A true character and will be sadly missed.......
He will be famous for that super pic you have mate.....

And sorry we couldnt be more helpfull bloat is a git of an infection and very hard to clear.......my male tyson once got septicimia and he was lituarally bleeding on the outside it looked grim and my LFS said it would be best to freeze him and put him out of his misery but i ignored them and bought some esha2000 off ebay and treated him.........i still have him to this day......

R.I.P Batfink...... rest in peace
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 pm

I hate peeps who say "stick them in the freezer"
If ever I have to cull a fish which I do with my discus fry quite frequently I use Clove Oil much more humane
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my longfin? =(   What is wrong with my longfin? =( Empty

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with my longfin? =(
Page 1 of 1