Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How many cross breed? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How many cross breed? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How many cross breed?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping, Pizza Maker
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-19

How many cross breed? Empty
PostSubject: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about how everyone has there breeding set ups. Do you have strictly albinos with albinos, commons with commons etc. or do you mix and match I like to hear what you guys have going on in your tanks. Thanks alot and have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Albino Male with a common female. I get a good mix with each batch of fry. Every 3 weeks..lol
Back to top Go down
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Cool, I have an albino male in with an albino female short fin and an albino long fin, a male calico now by himself with wrigglers from both the albino short fin and long fin, and a common male by himself. I'm trying to find a calico and a common females for the others, trying to get them from very different sources, so we will see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Good luck with the breeding Lunchbox! Did you ever find yourself another tank? What size was it?
Back to top Go down
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes I did i got a sweet 30 gallon 36x12x17 with a bio wheel 200 for $25.
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Thats great! I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a brand new tank ever again. Thank goodness for "passing phase aquarists"..lol
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Normally I keep my different colors of BN separate, as I believe it tends to keep the colors "cleaner", This is not a big issue with normal brown or albino, but using the L144 as an example, they normally breed true, but some will occasionally have the odd brown patch. Breeding to another color might increase that. I don't believe the other color would cause it, but it could easily hide the genetics of the brown patch. How could you see a brown patch on a normal brown for example. When I do cross the colors it is for a specific purpose. I have a brown female with a golden albino male at the moment as an out cross since my albino line is fairly closely related
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? EmptyMon May 24, 2010 2:30 am

I regually cross my different breeders to try and establish their genetics. eg. if a common crosses with an albino and throws out 50% albinos then the common has albino genes. Doing this i can quite accuratly control what sort of fry i get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many cross breed?   How many cross breed? Empty

Back to top Go down

How many cross breed?
Page 1 of 1