Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

trio or no trio? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

trio or no trio? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trio or no trio?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

trio or no trio? Empty
PostSubject: trio or no trio?   trio or no trio? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 am

Hi all,

So i finally get my 14cm beautiful pep bn male and he's in a 3 foot tank with what i believe are two girls around 9cm (posted pics up recently and people have responded with saying they are most likely females). Question is: is it common for females to take/guard a cave? my big male is still settling in and just hiding on driftwood but one of my other peppermints is constantly in one of the two caves. Has anyone come across this before? Or could this pep really be a boy too.... 😢
Any help would be great thanks
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

trio or no trio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: trio or no trio?   trio or no trio? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:42 pm

It's not unusual for females to use caves, all Bn's like somewhere to hide and where they feel safe. Once your male has settled in he will probably claim it for himself.

Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

trio or no trio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: trio or no trio?   trio or no trio? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm

my pep females do the same. if they cant hide behind or under something they will be hiding in a cave. peps are more nocturnal than commons which is the reason they seem less active. once the male is settled in he will assert his authority and boot one of the females out of the cave he chooses.

btw did u get ur male locally? as im looking for some more adult peps Laughing
Back to top Go down
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

trio or no trio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: trio or no trio?   trio or no trio? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 pm

ok thanks for the help guys Smile this morning my big male is in the other cave and seems to be quite happy. which is good because the other cave may be a little small for him especially if another bn is in there with him, but i have read that bn need very tight caves. if my male has claimed his cave should i remove the other cave? they are at opposite ends of the tank. i actually wanted to order a round peppermint cave online from thefishcave.com but maybe if he like his current cave i should just wait to see what happens.

yeah i got my male locally from reynella aquariums. they have another male i chose the bigger of the two but the other male is still quite nice and both are in great condition for breeding. didn't pay that much for him considering other aquarium places were quoting me $200+ to order one in. haven't seen any girls around though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

trio or no trio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: trio or no trio?   trio or no trio? Empty

Back to top Go down

trio or no trio?
Page 1 of 1