Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

The best substrate for your bristlenose... Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

The best substrate for your bristlenose... Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The best substrate for your bristlenose...

Go down 
+9
mooncat
deano
Mooo
kfenk
Doug
Spreebok
Lunchbox
Bwompus
Curby
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What's Best???
Gravel
The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_lcap42%The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_rcap
 42% [ 36 ]
Sand
The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_lcap33%The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_rcap
 33% [ 28 ]
Bare Bottom
The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_lcap17%The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_rcap
 17% [ 15 ]
Other
The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_lcap8%The best substrate for your bristlenose... Vote_rcap
 8% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 86

Back

AuthorMessage
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

The best substrate for your bristlenose... Empty
PostSubject: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 am

As the title say's lets have a vote on what type of substrate we all use.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 am

Gravel...but I do use sand for my fry tank.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 am

Ive tried all three and find gravel the easiest to control....
Although sand substrate and bare tank's do have there benefits but they didnt work for me....

so thats 1 vote for gravel for me....
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree gravel is the easiest to control but in my fry tank I vacuum everyday with a 5%-10% water change. They poo so much it looks like someone threw dirt on the white sand. For me it makes "spot" cleaning a lot easier and uneaten food doesn't drop below the sand.
Back to top Go down
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping, Pizza Maker
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm

I have only ever used gravel, wanted to try bare bottom but just gonna keep going with what s been working for me.
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

Female Number of posts : 190
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I use a sand and fine gravel mix, a. to give the plants a bit more to root in and b. for aesthetics. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lunchbox
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Lunchbox

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping, Pizza Maker
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey Spreebok what kind of mix do you use, 50-50 60-40? Never thought of that before.
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Spreebok wrote:
I use a sand and fine gravel mix, a. to give the plants a bit more to root in and b. for aesthetics. Smile

nice thinking.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I'll have to try get a photo for you, I use a net to shake it out so there's a bit of a sprinkling of fine gravel on top with a net, looks great!
@Lunchbox: I'd say about 40-60 to 30-70 in gravel and sand respectively. there's enough fine gravel to make a layer at the bottom and to sprinkle on top of the sand. Plus the sand is great if your a meanie pants like me and don't let your khuli loaches dissapear :P
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 am

I say sand but what i use is kinda a mix between sand and bare botom. I throw in about enough sand to cover the bottom of the tank to a depth of about 2~3mm then as water get tipped in and curents push it around bare spots form. I find this is the perfect mix as it allows substrate for the good bacteria to live in but make cleaning such a breeze!
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:16 pm

i use gravel coz i have ugf on my tank plus it makes vac alot easier
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 am

My tanks have mostly small normal gravel, but I have the peps in a sand bottom..I find the plants struggle a bit in sand, but given plenty of ferts, it will grow on ok..
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 pm

ive used most sustrates in the past but please be carefull when using sand.
The thing with sand is if the sand is only shallow the fish will turn it over more than enough to avoid any build up of solid waste and any risk of anaerobic dead spots which become deadly over a peiriod of time. this is why i dont use it in my bristlenose tanks. i dont like moving caves that are burried at the back into the sand. ie anarobic dead spots under the cave.
also be carefull on type of sand you are using as most sands will buffer the water to a higher ph than you will want for youre bristlenoses.

also remember if using a bare bottom tank to scrub the bottom every week. before youre weekly water change. the slime that builds up on the bottom will kill youre fish.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 am

deano wrote:
ive used most sustrates in the past but please be carefull when using sand.
The thing with sand is if the sand is only shallow the fish will turn it over more than enough to avoid any build up of solid waste and any risk of anaerobic dead spots which become deadly over a peiriod of time. this is why i dont use it in my bristlenose tanks. i dont like moving caves that are burried at the back into the sand. ie anarobic dead spots under the cave.
also be carefull on type of sand you are using as most sands will buffer the water to a higher ph than you will want for youre bristlenoses.

also remember if using a bare bottom tank to scrub the bottom every week. before youre weekly water change. the slime that builds up on the bottom will kill youre fish.

Hence why Doug's approach is the winner cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Spreebok
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Spreebok

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Quote :
he thing with sand is if the sand is only shallow the fish will turn it over more than enough to avoid any build up of solid waste and any risk of anaerobic dead spots which become deadly over a peiriod of time.
Exactly why I run through the entire thing with a chopstick everyweek, under logs and everything! Smile I use quite a thick bottom (about an 1" to 1 1/2"), hence why I chopstick so extensively. It's thicker as I have plants!
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 pm

SUSHI!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

Female Number of posts : 81
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

"anaerobic dead spots which become deadly over a peiriod of time"

oh dear pale does this mean that the corner of my tank where all the dirty gravel has gathered and I planted a plant, thinking that it would grow in the muck and use it as fertiliser and create a nice little ecosystem, is actually just a poison factory? I hadn't been vacuuming near it incase it disturbed the root system.

And are the worms living in the muck therefore a bad sign, rather than a good one?

I think I have much to learn! :study:
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 am

its hard to say if its a poison factory, I guess in its rawest form it is but if its a fast growing plant it will be absorbing lots of the nutrients and the worms are helping too. The worms that you are seeing are most likely blackworms or similar and are good food for any chiclids if you have any.

I would however, try to vaccy up as much of the crud as i could if its in a breeding tank as it can cause issues. I would move the plant and leave the corner bare so its easy to vacuum
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Hmm, not a very fast growing plant, everything seems to eat it as soon it it starts to sprout, so it's mostly stems

When I set up the tank I thought about lots of hiding places and interest, so it's full of big stones, bogwood, teracotta pots and a big moss ball, so there's very little of the floor I can actually get to for cleaning. Maybe I need to clear some of the bits and pieces out. :roll:
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Take it out, thats what i do Smile
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 pm

hmm, maybe I need to be a bit more ruthless. I like to give everything the chance to survive, even if it's not looking the greatest. Hence the worm tank!
Back to top Go down
Brandon O
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Brandon O

Number of posts : 164
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2011-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:36 am

so is it not a good idea to use bare bottom for trying to breed?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:43 am

use the search function to look for threads talking about bare bottom tanks and breeding. It has been discussed many times and quite well I might add, wouldnt do it justice to try and sum it up here Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 2:08 am

[quote]Exactly why I run through the entire thing with a chopstick everyweek, under logs and everything! Smile I use quite a thick bottom (about an 1" to 1 1/2"), hence why I chopstick so extensively. It's thicker as I have plants![/quote

That's what I do with a chopstick or skewer, been running for over two years n never lost a fish in that tank..although it sprung a leak last week and is out the back empty now ...

I have moved onto the plant substrate, Seachem Flourite Black, it's awesome...
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:31 am

This has turned into quite an interesting and informative thread, I didn't realise that nasties could build up in the gravel etc..

Good Job

Luckily I give the bottom a fairly good going over when I do my weekly water change so hopefully there is not to much build up in my tanks.

I use gravel in both in my main tank I use gravel that is roughly about 5mm diameter and in my fry tank I use finer gravel that probably is only 2-3mm in size.

I know that from now on i will ensure i give the bottom a good "rummage" through with the vacumm when doing the changes from now on.

cheers

Cheers

Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best substrate for your bristlenose...   The best substrate for your bristlenose... Empty

Back to top Go down

The best substrate for your bristlenose...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next