Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

bristlenose in a community tank Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

bristlenose in a community tank Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bristlenose in a community tank

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
toddy
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 57
Job/hobbies : plecs
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-05

bristlenose in a community tank Empty
PostSubject: bristlenose in a community tank   bristlenose in a community tank EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 pm

hi there i have just started up a community tank an i want to put my l144's in there and my super red bns i was just wondering what would be the chances of them spawning in there if so do i take the male out an put in another tank with the eggs or can i just keep the fry in the community tank and just hope for the best
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

bristlenose in a community tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: bristlenose in a community tank   bristlenose in a community tank EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Wel, im my experence the chances of a spawn are reduced in a community tank but only slightly. The biggest thing that i have found affect the spawning rate in a community tank is the tank mates, and the presence of a cave.

What other fish do you have in the tank? If you have large, agressive fish, such as cichlids, larger catfish or some of the larger tetra then they the bristlenose will spend more of its time hiding and avoiding being spotted by them. If you have loaches then the chances of a spawn are near zero as the loaches will fight the bristlenose for the cave and will eat any eggs he may be tending (not to mention they will seriously hurt each other in the fight). If you have some of the peaceful community fish like mollys, pladys, small tetra etc then you should be fine.

Having a proper cave is a big boost to breeding bristlenose as its somewhere the male can feel safe enough to spawn. they dont need a cave but they are much more likely to spawn with one.

In terms of removing the male to another tank this is always a good option, as long as the new tank is fully cycled and the water chemistry is very similar to that of the main tank. its simply a matter of picking up the cave and moving it across. If the cave can hold water then keep it full of water so that the male doenst freak out and be the in flow of the new water wont be such a shock to the eggs.

finally just remember that L144 (the colour morph, not the species) and super reds are the same species and as such will cross breed. And remember that male bristlenose are territorial and need enough space
Back to top Go down

bristlenose in a community tank
Page 1 of 1