Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... Empty
PostSubject: Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 pm

ok this might get some people tALKING,

apart from the old normal plastic double bagged system for transporting, what other idea's
and systems have you come across for transporting pleco's around... either to and from the LFS or just anywhere when
passing them on....

all the best in advance

LJ
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 am

Depends how far you are going. If i am going a fair way i will put the bag into a foam box or esky so that the water temp doesnt change too much
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 3:37 pm

If posting , I wait till they are 3cm or more, & use Kordon breather bags & either a styrofoam box or a hard plastic container & an express post bag ..

I have had success posting fish of differing species in both ways.

1/.Placing one bag inside the other to begin, I add water from tank. then, the critters to be sent to their forever homes, then tie the inside bag very tightly with rubber band, then tie second bag separately, tends to reduce any spillage or leakage, then put both bags inside another much larger bag(insurance against leakage) & tie fast with rubber band...Then wrap with newspaper and insert into box (add heat pack if needed) & address to recipient..

2/.You can do the same as above But instead of the box, You can use a hard plastic container with a tight lid sticky tapped down well, then placed inside a plastic bag, tie tightly, (add heat pack if needed) wrap with newspaper, Pop into an express bag & address to recipient.(This method, I only use on fish I know to be robust enough to handle the journey..

If transporting local, a reasonable sized plastic container with tight fitting lid for the amount of fish will do as a temp travel container..

Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: tight fitting containers required   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Moo it is the tight fitting containers we seem to have a problem trying to find any decent ones over here in the Uk...

that was the reason for my question Smile)##thanks any wyas ...
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I am always been asked to post my fish but atm have shyed away from it.

Poly boxes are general £1.50 each and when you add that to the postage along with the £2 fo the heat pack peeps tend not to bother as postage is high for RM SD Next day in any event
Back to top Go down
-Paul-
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
-Paul-

Male Number of posts : 105
Humor :
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Fishing tackle   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I'd source out your local fishing tackle shop. While faced with this challenge I was half way through ruining the wife's biggest tupperware tub in the house (in the doghouse after that, lol) stabbing holes into it, when I remembered going fishing with my dad when I was a kid. We use to use giant maggot tubs (basically a black tub with a lid 'with holes in it') I went to get one from a local tackle shop, I got a perfect size one that is black with a lid with small holes about the size of a bucket (that you would make sandcastles with at the seaside)... perfick. *also has a handle so if travelling alone you can secure this through the passenger seatbelt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paulgreenhealthcare.co.uk/
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: ohh a bait bucket .. :P   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm

ohhh a bait bucket / tub Smile

I forgot about those, what a good idea.

Might have to get Bren to invest in a couple for me next time I pick some fish up for him from Curby's... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...   Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags... Empty

Back to top Go down

Transporting pleco's -- not just plastic double wrapped bags...
Page 1 of 1