Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus Empty
PostSubject: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 am

Currently in construction phase of my bristlenose breeding tanks setup and building a nice big sump filter to run all my tanks off. Now im looking into getting the filter media so am after a cheap source to purchase from. Looking at different size holes on sheets of foam and filter pads, can i get this stuff from a pool shop or something? Also need to put pads around all my intakes to stop the fry getting sucked up what sort of foam density/hole size should i be looking at that will allow most the poo ect flow through but no allow the fry to get stuck in the holes? Live in dandenong so close to this area would be good or just an idea of the type of shops i should be looking for.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 am

eBay mate it can be a valuable asset, tool, friend, lover, etc. When I purchased my 2000Lph UV filter off eBay it had no filter media. Searched filter media and got bio balls, ceramic rings, couple different kinds of sponge and some Purigen. Couple days later and filter was up n running Very Happy

As for your filter intake, take a look at this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crystal-Cherry-Filter-Guard-Protect-fish-shrimp-12mm-/170629194213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba4ae1e5#ht_3273wt_922 now it's normally used to stop shrimp from being sucked into the filter so it will def protect your bn fry. There's a couple different sizes too.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:57 am

Alright, best bet is a combo of foam and biological media. The foam is cheapest from 'Clark Rubber' you can but it in square metres. ask for the water filter sponge. its blue, same stuff that comes in Eheim filters and it about an inch thick. Perfect for the first stage of the sump and covering the outflow from the tank.

The next thing is the biological media, ceramic rings are my personal choice for cost effectivness. They are not the best, but the best is awefully expensive for the volume you need. When i needed to source some rings i went to a few fish shops as you never know if one has a bag lying aroung. I found 25ltrs of rings for $53!!! not bad! and they were good rings. Either that or hit the online shops. the other option is bioballs. these are cheaper again and work well. The smaller the balls the more surface area you will get in the sump. this is what we use at uni for all the big setups, 1inch bioballs. we have thousands of them! personally, i would go with filter sponge, ceramic rings and bioballs, just to keep the cost down. Of course if cost is not an issue, go filter foam and some Eheim Eco pro, for about $20 a ltr! its the bees knees of biological media and will make a hell of a difference but is very expensive!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:00 am

also, for the intake filter you can also use these. I have one on my grow out tank and it works amazingly, extra filtration and safe fry. The water in this tank had always been hard to manage with the high stocking levels but now with this thing its perfect all the time!!!

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/zpumps/filters/pre_filters/in_pond_pre_filters/block_pre_filters.htm
Back to top Go down
death_adder
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 73
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 am

good thanks guys yeah thought clark rubber might be my best bet, yeah already got a good portion of both bio balls and ceramic rings, read on a few places that bio balls are best above the water line to allow plenty of air and water mix and ceramics work good when fully submerged, now to get a diamond hole drill bit and see if i can smash some tanks Smile ill post pics when i have finished stage one to show you how i went.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: washing machine bags for aquarium filter guards :)   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm

I use those bags you use that you get to put clothes in and keep them together in the washer...lol..

very good if you get a large one and cut it up to the desired size, then wrap it round the filter and tie it in place with a large cable tie or rubber band Smile

A good thing is the easy to replace after a few months or you can jet them clean in the bucket in the garden using the hose.

Some filters may need two net guards round them as some fish still like to try to wriggle inside the filter no matter how hard you try to keep them out...lol..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus   Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus Empty

Back to top Go down

Filter media -Where to buy victoria/aus
Page 1 of 1