Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Empty
PostSubject: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:54 pm

I bought this fish a few weeks back at a local fish store...
It was marked up as a female BN & they thought it was 4 months old....lol
I did pay more than normal for it as I liked it...

I paid £8.00 as needed a spare female..
I don't think it is 4months old. I say more like 8mnt-14mnths looking at the size of 5 inch.

You can not get the true colour in the pictures, It appears to have blue eyes, blue circles around the eyes, deep blue in the fins and body when it swims/is not stressed.

It was clearly stressed in the LFS as it appeared to be grey in there.
What do you guys think.

Pic1
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu10

Pic2.... clearly shows blue outer liner to the eyes.., and blue between the side fins..
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu11

Pic3
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu12

Pic4... blue in the holes on what I call the nose holes... lol..
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu13

Pic5
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu14

Pic6... dont ask me how I got this but pic6 shows the BN after I turned the light on and with least stress.... blue galore...
a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Femblu15

sorry for so many pics, I know you lot like more for identifying purposes!
I doubt she is a blue phantom or anything, but after all my limited breeding/ BN fish keeping experience, I have not seen these markings before, hence thats why I snapped the her up.

I am hoping she might mate with one of my male ancistrus when she is used to the tank.
Ok, so what do you guys and gals think...

be kind...
many thanks Lj
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: anny idea yet..   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 5:39 pm

any of you guys know what this is yet, wanting to show her in some aquatic shows but not sure what to id her as yet?
Back to top Go down
simo notts
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
simo notts

Male Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : aquatic sales, plec keeping
Humor : to much of
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-12

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:53 pm

as fare as i am aware this is a genetic defect, give me until friday and i will post a picture of mine which is the same but is a younger fish. i picked mine out of a tank of 450 common brown ansistrus. someone told me it may have cateracts but i disagree, it may be down to hybridisation or in-breeding but i will say this rare-yes as i have only ever seen yours and mine and i have seen thousands of brown bns, worth keeping hold of- yes will make a good show fish get some prima and some brocholi stems down it and it will be a buet.

im the guy you emailed on AC about plec identification
Back to top Go down
simo notts
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
simo notts

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:56 pm

mine is only young but is a male [i think] keep my email address- if you are local to nottingham or close by when mine matures a breeing attempt might be a good idea? imagine having developed a new breed of bns the babys would be worth ther weight in gold
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Lol if only guy's...
The only problem is , is that the Blue Ancistrus already exists Ancistrus Jari...the L-Number is L325 ....

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1680

Hope this helps...... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: my exact thoughts curb...   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:21 pm

my exact thoughts I had seen the planet catfish page as I regularly use the site, but
due to my lack of experience with bristles with being fairly new to breeding them thought I would ask
for it's ID on here.

Do agree with notts though... only 40miles away so may be worth a sample any ways :P, just to see what turns out...

doubt it would be very much different from the phantom plec but smaller.

though there are some differences from the page posted Smile

thanks any ways.... I am at west houghton this weekend so make sure you leave some beer in tesco's lol..

Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:30 pm

on another debate, the L325 link.. appears to be a blue ancistrus peppermint hybrid to me...

it is a beautiful fish isn't it....

peppermints are one of my personal favourites, and the L325 looks like a peppermint with a blue translucent sheen as it swims..

blue pleco's I find tend to be beautiful in their own right since you see so many brown and black one's every where..lol...

and what happened to Andrew Coxon, did he manage to breed his blue one's which no one had seen before?

I doubt it being as sellable as the L325 right now, since most of the time it appears grey, then as it swims it seems to have blue alive inside it... another thing is.. it must be the tamest BN I ever got from a LFS it comes and feeds right where your standing or sitting infront of the tank... :P

many thanks Curby Smile

Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Hmmm maybe your right the jari is alot more blue plus like you said your's is more common looking....
When i breed my common albino's and browns together i normally get a few odd coloured one's maybe this is whats happened....
Either way keep posting pic's as i would like to see more... Twisted Evil

As for andrew he never came back to say how he went on... Question
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: curby and blue eyed..   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 6:03 pm

was wondering whether she would mate with my L144 but you have more experience of breeding than me..

no offence meant...lol...

what surprised me was the LFS owner with over 50 years of fish keeping experience, and recommended by practical fish keeping said she was about 6 months old... which I doubted straight away...

will post more pictures... doubt I will get any that good for a while coz thinking of putting her in with my breeding pair to see how he gets on with her ;-)

you never know what might happen...

was shocked I paid £8 lol... since that was my money for food lol...

and I dont usually pay over £4.00 for ancistrus where I can help it...

though the clown pleco at £7 was a rare buy for me, though he always plays hide and seek behing the bog wood...

wish he was as friendly as the blue eyed female...
Back to top Go down
simo notts
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
simo notts

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 6:52 pm

L325 .................. i dont really think so, just wait till friday night when i post the picture of mine. the eyes on mine are a sort of bright duck ege blue, its normal brown bn colours but still being young it has the white tips to the dorsal and the tail, also the two tones of brown are very defined on the body and it has no visable spots unlike the l325 but i will say that i think mine and wolverines plecs may be slightly different. i hope it suvives to adult hood so i can see what it turns out like. please if i forget to post friday remind me cheers
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:46 am

simo notts wrote:
L325 .................. i dont really think so, just wait till friday night when i post the picture of mine. the eyes on mine are a sort of bright duck ege blue, its normal brown bn colours but still being young it has the white tips to the dorsal and the tail, also the two tones of brown are very defined on the body and it has no visable spots unlike the l325 but i will say that i think mine and wolverines plecs may be slightly different. i hope it suvives to adult hood so i can see what it turns out like. please if i forget to post friday remind me cheers

Already looking forward to seeing your pics mate... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 pm

nice catch which LFS was it?
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: LFS....   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Over the last few months I have been keeping my eye on Rainbow Aquatics at Mexborough in South Yorkshire
run by two generally very well experienced guys... one of which I remember being working in the shop over 30 years ago.

Me showing my age now at 39 ..lol..

Must have been more than good at some point as they have recommendations on the wall from Practical Fishkeeping.

They have some good buys in; panda cory's at £2.50 when he gets them in, and occasional Sterbai at £2.75...
though each time he had sterbai in I have been skint.. Sad

Bought a albino red tailed shark from there last week for £2.70 and he is looking settled in ok.

Got the clown pleco from him which I entered in last months photo's, though it would have helped me if the owner had told me
the clown pleco is nocturnal... lol

I have to hand it to the LFS, since they also rehome fish for other people Smile who have got fish out grown, or through accidents.

and yes Jag I am LJ off aquatic classified who you emailed about the Sterbai.... Smile

kind regards...
Back to top Go down
Jagtazman
Chief poster
Chief poster
Jagtazman

Male Number of posts : 659
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:20 pm

wow my LFS range from £5 - £9 each for sterbai even ones less than an inch !
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: still no one can ID this pleco... hmmmmm?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm

I wonder how long it could take to ID this for me Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?   a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please? Empty

Back to top Go down

a blue eyed beauty to ID for me please?
Page 1 of 1