Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abbiej1711
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Abbiej1711

Number of posts : 63
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... Empty
PostSubject: Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank....   Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm using my Fluval 125 to (hopefully) breed peppermints/ other bristlenose.
I've got in there the filter which came with the tank which has been great for me although I'm starting to question whether I'd be better off with a sponge filter for the bristlenose sakes?

I've covered the filter with tights in both my tanks as my other has baby shrimp in and the tights seem to be working for that tank!
So just open to opinions/experiences, am I ok with my ordinary filter covered in tights, or should I deffinitely invest in creating a sponge filter?

IF SO! Can anybody recommend a good pump? I've tried two from pets at home which turned out to be very noisy! So I'd need to find a quieter one to work with.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Good question..   Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Abbie...

I always use a fluval filter in the main tank in the lounge, however in the breeding tank I have a fluval 4 plus with a filter on set to maximum (this filter does have tight around), this same filter does not pick up as much waste as it used to as the tights keep some waste back Sad( though I use it as I think they are worth their weight in gold......

and also a fluval 3 plus in the same tank without stocking, all I do with that filter is drop the adjuster to half way between
max and minimum, as such you should have less fry pulled up into the inlet and hopefully less untimely deaths...

it is inevitable you will get a few losses at some point.....

I am working on a tight budget right now being out of work... but would recommend swapping to sponge filters if you can afford it...

or just add one alongside until the new sponge media is fully loaden with good bacteria....

since i HAVE ALOT OF BRISTLES.. breeding out in the tank right now I think I am always going to have two filters set up in my 26 gallon tanks at least.....

my local LFS sells the sponges at £2.50 to £10 depending on the size your after so you should be able to get some fairly cheap....
Back to top Go down
Abbiej1711
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Abbiej1711

Number of posts : 63
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank....   Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks Very Happy I used to think everybody had to use sponge filters to successfuly breed!

When I get round to dividing my tank, I want to use a sponge filter in the side the babies will be put into, but I think the fluval filters are great so I'd like to keep it in there!

I'm using the Fluval U3, never used any others.
I find the tights are great are keeping the sand out of my filter!! But yeah I agree they do restrict the amount of mess the filter can pick up =/

Now... for the bristles to breed.... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank....   Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Using 125 Fluval filter in bristlenose breeding tank....
Page 1 of 1