Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

male or female? bloat or gravid? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

male or female? bloat or gravid? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

male or female? bloat or gravid?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

male or female? bloat or gravid? Empty
PostSubject: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:29 am

Hi all,

i'm in need of some help again scratch
firstly, i'm wondering if this peppermint below has bloat or is gravid? basically i haven't seen either before (only in photos) and i'm just a bit worried about this bristlenose as she is more often than not sitting in front of the filter on the glass and won't move, which makes me question her health. this is a couple pics i took today and yesterday.
male or female? bloat or gravid? 31102010

male or female? bloat or gravid? Img_2211

and my next question is from the photo below, can anyone tell me if they are male or female??

male or female? bloat or gravid? Img_2212

any help would be great! i'm still learning heaps about these guys and i want to give them the best life Smile
thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

get ready for some giggidty giggidty

i reckon she is about to pop with eggs my friend Smile see the colour near her neather regions, thats a tell tale sign of good news

as for the other to it is a bit hard to tell, is it possble to get a shot from the top, i could have a guess now but would be better from the top Smile
Back to top Go down
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 am

Doug wrote:
get ready for some giggidty giggidty

i reckon she is about to pop with eggs my friend Smile see the colour near her neather regions, thats a tell tale sign of good news

as for the other to it is a bit hard to tell, is it possble to get a shot from the top, i could have a guess now but would be better from the top Smile

lol yay! thats great news! Smile thanks
i haven't been able to get a decent top view photo as every time i go near the tank when they are in a good spot they quickly hide, i guess when they are on the glass they can't see me? hehe
but the top of the two is usually hanging in a cave. is that automatically a male? not sure if females behave like that?
if they are going to spawn what's the chances of their first spawn being successful? on average how many babies survive?

thanks for your help cheers
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 3:10 am

unfortunatly, being in a cave doesnt make it a male. Females like to hide in spare caves as they feel safe in there. If the fish in the cave is fanning (waving his pectoral fins around) then that is more likely to be a male.

First spawns are a bit hit and miss. some males get it right straight away while others take their time getting into the swing of things. The best bet is to give them the easiest time of it possible. This means disturbing them as little as possible, no looking in the cave, not rearranging the wood, not excessive water changes etc. make everything as stress free as possible. that will give the male the best chance of getting it right.

first spawns are often a bit smaller than normal ones, usually around 20-30 fry. from there it depends on you to keep them all alive Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 am

Hmm hard to tell sex of peps when they still have that white stripe, they are still sub adults..
first photo, I would say it's female cos it is so rounded..& the reason she would be hiding behind th efilter is cos she feels comfortable there, the others have prolly taken all the prime positions,
How many peps are in together? in what sized tank?
The other two hmmm....I am just guessing now...The top one I'd say male, the other one, female...Guessing remember.. Question Having a second look they are both a tad elongated, might be both males lol sorry I'm just adding to your confusion lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 am

thank you for the replies Smile

it's a 3ft tank holds about 150L. 5 pepps total and that's all that's in there except for some damn snails. 4 peices of driftwood, terracotta pot, rock with many holes, two breeding caves, and heavily planted. hoping to get a trio out of the 5.
the two in the photo together are 9cm and the white stripe is fading, do you know at what age/size does the white completely go?
i will try my best to make it as less stressful as i can for them.
we'll just have to wait and see Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: male or female? bloat or gravid?   male or female? bloat or gravid? Empty

Back to top Go down

male or female? bloat or gravid?
Page 1 of 1