Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Unidentified growth??? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Unidentified growth??? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unidentified growth???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 3
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Unidentified growth??? Empty
PostSubject: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:56 am

Hi All

I've got a male Albino with what appears to be some sort of raised growth on his back near the front of his dorsal. Looks a bit like a pimple and is a grey colour although it might be a wound with a scab. He seems to be in good health and active so at this stage I'm not overly concerned but I am quite curious.

I bought him about 2 weeks ago and to be honest I'm not sure if he had when I got him but I noticed it a day of so after and it doesn't appear to be getting larger so maybe he's had it for a while.

Unidentified growth??? IMGP8460.1

Sorry about the quality of the photo but he lives up the back of his tank and the water's got IAL in it so it's a bit yellow.

Just wondered if anyone had any idea on what it might be????
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 pm

It could be a bacterial infection possibly at the site of an old wound, or a small tumour. You could try an anti-bacterial medicine and monitor the lump for growth.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks Jim, yes it does look a little like a tumour but I've also got IAL in the water just in case it's bacterial. I might add some Melafix as well. I wondered though, are tumours common? most animals with fair or albino skin are susceptible to skin problems but then again Bristlenose aren't exposed to the sun so maybe this isn't an issue???
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Mike wrote:
Thanks Jim, yes it does look a little like a tumour but I've also got IAL in the water just in case it's bacterial. I might add some Melafix as well. I wondered though, are tumours common? most animals with fair or albino skin are susceptible to skin problems but then again Bristlenose aren't exposed to the sun so maybe this isn't an issue???

I think tumours are probably as common in fish as humans. many internal tumours probably go undiagnosed.

Cauliflower Disease is a type of viral infection that causes small tumors to grow on the lateral line and the areas joining body and fins, sometimes looking like cauliflower, thus the name. Fish with this disease become lethargic and have difficulty with balance while swimming. To correct the problem, nitrates and ammonia levels in the water need to be reduced with frequent.

Another type of tumour are Solid tumors they can be either benign or malignant and can also be very slow or fast growing. Solid tumors can show up on any part of your fish externally or internally.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks once again Jim I'll keep an eye out for those symptoms and others as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified growth???   Unidentified growth??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Unidentified growth???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Pleco Hospital-
Jump to: