Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

odd feeding behaivior Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

odd feeding behaivior Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

odd feeding behaivior

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 6
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-12-21

odd feeding behaivior Empty
PostSubject: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 am

my son just called me and told me his bristlenose swam up to one of the pond snails in his tank, latched onto it and took it to the bottom with him, well he said he chewed on it for awhile and he says he then spit shell fragments out. he then says that the pleco swam up and did it again!! I asked him if he was feeding them, he said yes, he gives them algae wafers to supplement flake food, I am finding this hard to believe, but my son is not one to make things up...but I am still finding this hard to believe.....is this possible? we are both questioning how this is possible, since as I understand, pleco's do not have bottom jaws, correct me if I am wrong? thanks a million!
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 am

I have mts snails in my tanks and I have seen my BN, generally the juvis roll the snails around in their mouths. I am not sure they are really trying to eat the snails, perhaps sucking bio matter off of their shells.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I have been thinking about spitting out the shell fragments. Pond snails have more fragile shells than mts. It's possible that their shells could not withstand the pressure the BN put on it while mouthing it to get the bio film. BN may not have a biting jaw, but their mouth parts are formidable nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 am

I am sorry for not getting back sooner, been away from my pc for awhile, I appreciate the responses! These are pond snails, He told me he noticed that some of the snails in his tank are almost white, and have a very fragile shell, I have some white pond snails in my tank also, I was wondering if they were maybe albino, but when he told me the shell broke easily, it make me wonder if they are going thru some sort of molt? I do not know much about snails, lol, so he thinks that maybe the pleco is targeting these snails, I asked him what color the snails were that the pleco got, he said he was not paying attention at the time and was more in shock that the thing was spitting out shell fragments, I have seen my angels do this because i crush the snails for them..thankyou for your replies, so now i know that at least it may be possible and maybe his pleco has developed a taste for them!! yeah!! snail control!! now I need to train mine to do this! thanks
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

They could be white Ramshorn snails but I thought they were rare in the States.

The most likely cause is lack of calcium, they need calcium rich water to build strong shells, which is leaving the shell weak and easy to break. A lot of Apple snail keepers use liquid calcium to maintain them

There is an article HERE about boosting calcium levels.
Back to top Go down
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 am

I am going to attempt it attach a photo I just took, hopefully it works, they are pics of the snails in question, in my tanks at least, I am not sure of my son's as they are at his dad's house.....I have never squashed the white ones, only the regular colored ones,so I am not sure if there shell is soft or not, I also have these that are a brilliant firey red when the light goes thru there shell, they all seem healthy and are thriving, there shells appear healthy, but like I said I am no snail expert, as a matter of fact, I am trying to get rid of them! thank you for your replies!!

odd feeding behaivior 5405676513
odd feeding behaivior 5406286156

Last edited by twiggy2151 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 am

ok, how on earth do you post a photo to this forum??? thanks
Back to top Go down
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 am

lets try some links, my luck they won't work lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiggy2151/5405676513/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiggy2151/5406286156/
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: your links worked fine :)   odd feeding behaivior EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 am

twiggy2151 wrote:
lets try some links, my luck they won't work lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiggy2151/5405676513/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiggy2151/5406286156/

your links worked fine, jim gave you some good advice there Smile
Back to top Go down
twiggy2151
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:41 am

cool, thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: odd feeding behaivior   odd feeding behaivior Empty

Back to top Go down

odd feeding behaivior
Page 1 of 1