Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

breeding tank setup Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

breeding tank setup Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

breeding tank setup

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

Male Number of posts : 243
Job/hobbies : Fishkeeping, Cricket, Rowing, Fishing, Camping
Humor : Michael McIntyre and Rhod Gilbert
Thank You Points : 11
Registration date : 2011-02-15

breeding tank setup Empty
PostSubject: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 am

i have found this stuff on eBay, if i took the lid with light fitting off of my fish tank to breed BNs and used this instead, would it be OK?
Also, if i put a towel over the top would it get burnt from the heat of the light, do i even need a towel, i was just thinking of keeping heat in. Link is below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/360-Angle-White-Clamping-Light-Lamp-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-/360346496951?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item53e6532fb7

would this be OK as a fry saver, it is meant for breeding guppies but it seems big enough to accomodate a few BN fry for a couple of weeks, i would place it in front of the filter outlet. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180360517735&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The other fry saver choice is this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330495348168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
a little odd as it fits onto the outside of the tank and has its own water pump.

what do you think would be a better fry saver?

back to the light, as mentioned before i would probably put a towel over the top, first of all, is this necessary, i was thinking of ease of access if there was some kind of crisis or if fry or eggs got kicked out a of a cave too early or something, they would have to be moved quickly, am i correct?

Thanks for any help Very Happy

James
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 am

i dont have any lights on my breeding tank, no need for it. I light my grow out tank.

in terms of the fry saver, i would go with the second one because i have heard good things about those fry savers. The thing I look for in a fry saver is size. I want to be able to fit my breeding caves in there with room for the male to hang out a bit.
Back to top Go down
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

PostSubject: Re: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 am

OK thanks Doug, i will have a look round the internet to see if i can find any that are bigger, the one on the link isn't exactly huge,

Thanks for the help cheers

James

PS: would i need a light if i was going to use one tank for a pair of BNs and a grow out tank, or could i turn a light on when the fry are out of the cave?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 pm

bristlenose don't need light at all. The fry have been know in the wild to like to hang around on well lit shallow areas but in a tank they dont seem to mind.

The reason I light my grow out tank is that feed back from customers has told me that fry that come from a lit tank are more active during the day than ones that come from a dark tank.
Back to top Go down
Pleco James
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Pleco James

PostSubject: Re: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Ah OK, i don't think this will really matter as any fry i may get will probably mostly got to the LFS, although i will try to sell some on here, thing is no one seems to live near me, and i can't post lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breeding tank setup   breeding tank setup Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding tank setup
Page 1 of 1