Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New Breeding Setup Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

New Breeding Setup Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Breeding Setup

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drpuzzled
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 22
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-04

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: New Breeding Setup   New Breeding Setup EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 pm

First of all, great post. lots of useful info.

Ive just finished setting up a custom tank ive designed and had built.
its 125ltr tank with a built in fluidized bed filter using k1 media, all across the back of the tank.
The water flows into the back on the left passes through the chaotic chamber with moving k1 the enters a static chamber of k1, then onto a small chamber were i can house any sort of chemical media i like to play with the water and then finally into the last chamber housing a pump, which pumps the water out of the tank through a bulkhead, then through a UV, re-entering the tank through a spray bar, thus creating turbulent environment.
I plan to using tank dividers to separate the tank into three section, hoping to a have two breeding pairs and a section to rear fry.
Im going to keep the tank bare bottom, to allow me to keep it as clean as possible and only using RO water, to provide soft water and a PH of 6.5.
[img]New Breeding Setup Tttt012[/img]
still needs a little more k1, im getting more from work tomorrow to top up with fully mature k1.
i think im on the right track here, but would welcome any input.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Breeding Setup   New Breeding Setup EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Looks good to me. I like the idea of the filter too. Really clever way of doing it.

The one thing I will mention is the size of the tank is not big enough for all three sections. it will hold two sections each with a breeding pair just fine, however, it will not be big enough to include the grow out section as well. I recommend 160ltrs minimum for a grow out tank as this not only speeds up their growth but allows lots of water for anything little nasties to happen in (dead fry etc). I would look at having a different tank as the grow out tank and just house the breeders in this beauty.

or even better, use this one with its epic filter setup as the grow out tank and house the breeders in another. Its a bit smaller than i recommend but with a filter system like that it could handle the fry and their bio-load (which is huge)
Back to top Go down
Drpuzzled
Small Fry
Small Fry

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: rough calculations   New Breeding Setup EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

my rough calculations estimate this system should handle 3.12kg of fish, with potential to manage 62.5g of food per day.
what would you say the average weight of a 1 inch bristlenose is?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Breeding Setup   New Breeding Setup EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm

not sure, a few grams maybe.

How do you figure the weights? Remember that it is not all about filter ability. A lot of other things come into it. For example, with this filter and your calculations you would be able to have 2 oscars in there. Logically, however, that wont fly, on the other hand if you put 3kgs worth of tetra in there it would prob be ok. It comes down to the nature of the fish, tetra are very clean fish. Things like bristenose on the other hand produce an epic amount of waste.

Bristlenose males are territorial, and they do fight, sometimes to the death. they also do not breed when their tank size is too small. They also produce a lot of waste. My grow out tank will go through a large cucumber a night, which means a lot of waste. I run a 2200l/h canister on this 200ltr tank, plus a sponge filter or few. Based on several of those calculators i should be able to house a lot more fish in there than I do but the nature of bristlenose does not allow for it.

I recommend 50-60ltrs minimum for breeding tanks (approx 1.5 square feet of tank bottom) with each tank housing either a pair or trio. That will leave ~25-45ltrs for your babies, and considering that each spawn can have well over 60 babies once they get into the swing of it, you will quickly run out of room or filtration ability.

It is a really nice tank, and the filter system is amazing. It really is! but the amount of poo these things make is also amazing
Back to top Go down
Drpuzzled
Small Fry
Small Fry

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: k1 filter update.   New Breeding Setup EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 pm

More k1 added and a more powerful air pump added plus swapped the air curtains for two large balls. works very well.
was trying to add a you tube link.
search you tube complete k1 002
Back to top Go down
Drpuzzled
Small Fry
Small Fry

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: L260   New Breeding Setup EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 10:00 am

Ive got to decide what im doing with my beautiful L260, i really dont want to sell her, but im not sure if she/he will cause a problem in my breeding tanks.
Would she eat the eggs or fry of BN'S?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Breeding Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Breeding Setup   New Breeding Setup Empty

Back to top Go down

New Breeding Setup
Page 1 of 1