Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

mopani v bogwood Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

mopani v bogwood Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mopani v bogwood

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nashile
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : tropical fish, reading
Humor : i hope i have a soh lol
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-05-25

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:39 pm

i got mopani wood for my bristlenose and she is constantly on it or hiding in it. would bogwood be better or is mopani wood fine

❤ ❤
Back to top Go down
jond4261
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
jond4261

Male Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Job: Electrician. Hobbies: Fish Keeping and watching Cricket.
Humor : sarcastic
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-11-30

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptyWed May 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I did read somewhere, can't remember where though, (its my age), that Mopani wood is a little soft and will eventually break down in your tank, and that bogwood is better as it doesn't. It also said that you should go for oak bogwood as this was the "best". Not sure how true this actually is, but for this reason I have so far always gone for bogwood.

However to be totally honest I don't think there is much in it, and the Mopani has the colour variation that you don't get from bogwood.

It really is all down to personnal preference in the end.

As far as the hiding, some Bns will just naturally hide more than others. Its down to their own little personalities not what type of wood you have. The more you have the more you 'll see what I mean about their personalities, they are like children, some show off, some are shy, thats why they are so addictive..!!

cheers

Jon

Last edited by jond4261 on Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Soft wood is good because they like to chew on it. In the end why not have both wood and let the bn decide Very Happy I have 2-4 types of wood in my tanks
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: L333 living in the mopani wood   mopani v bogwood EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:53 pm

I must say I prefer mopani, my BN just seem to be on it alot more than the normal bogwood Sad

In my main 4 ft tank I now have upto 6 pieces scattered around and it is always alive with BN Smile

the L333 like to live in it too...
Back to top Go down
VictorW
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
VictorW

Male Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : 2nd grade teacher
Humor : Always
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2011-04-01

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptyThu May 26, 2011 12:00 am

I have a chunk of mopani, osage orange, aka hedge apple (very hard), and a cottonwood branch (very soft) in my tank. My bn's prefer the mopani and hedge because of the holes that I drilled into them. Mopani was also more easily placed in the tank because it sunk right from the start. I found my cottonwood and hedge at the bottom of a dried pond. After some boiling the wood from the pond sank to the bottom.

My red claw crabs do spend more time on the cottonwood even though they hide in the harder wood's artificial holes. They spend a lot of time picking wood or some other material from the cottonwood's surface.
Back to top Go down
nashile
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : tropical fish, reading
Humor : i hope i have a soh lol
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-05-25

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptySun May 29, 2011 10:29 am

victor i never thought about drilling holes into the wood but its a reay good idea thanks ❤
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood EmptySun May 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Drilling holes is a great idea, infact i did the same thing a while back just to have some different caves for my albino longfins back in the day

Heres a picture of my late male albino longfin rest in peace Sad 😢
mopani v bogwood Alblfdad

notice the cave is a drilled hole in a piece of mopani. its about 13cm deep and diam of about 2.5cm. he had many spawns in it (was his cave of choice)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mopani v bogwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: mopani v bogwood   mopani v bogwood Empty

Back to top Go down

mopani v bogwood
Page 1 of 1