Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Spotted Sailfin Pleco. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Spotted Sailfin Pleco. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spotted Sailfin Pleco.

Go down 
+2
Doug
sasha1949
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sasha1949
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 3
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-07-09

Spotted Sailfin Pleco. Empty
PostSubject: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:04 am

I have two Sailfin Pleco's about 3 - 4 inches long. I have had them for about one year. I found out recently they grow very big, and I only have a 50 gallon tank. So, I want to get Bristlenose Pleco's. In the meantime, how long can I keep the Sailfin Pleco's before they get too big for my tank? Also, is it a good or bad idea to get my Bristlenose Pleco's now, or after I re-home the other Pleco's, when they get too big for my tank? Nice one
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 am

when to rehome them is a hard one. I would suggest that when they are about 20-25cms long they will prob be too large for the tank. I am sure others will know more about this as i have never kept them before. if this size is too large will someone correct me Smile

however, how long it will take them to get to that size is unsure.

If they are still small then i can see no issue with getting the bristlenose now. I would make sure there are lots of places to hide in the tank and i would set up at least two feeding areas to reduce agression at feeding time Smile
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Your tank should house them fine for quite a while, and getting bns now to go with them is fine. Generally plecos grow to the size their tank will allow them to be, so they may not actually get giant.
My sister has 2 sailfins as well in a 4 foot tank (48G I think) and both of them are a 20cm or so, they're only with another couple of fish though but they're quite happy in that tank. Far as I know it's taken them 2-3 years to get that big, so if you need to rehouse yours, you've got plenty of time. :P
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Generally it depends on the conditions the fish are kept in. In breeding conditions (plenty waterchanges and fresh veg) the fish will grow nicely. But if just kept in a community tank where food is basically what food drops to the bottom and the odd algae disc then yeah they gonna grow slower. The right conditions for the larger growing plecs is about 20cm in the first 12 month but it then slows down a bit. After a further 12 months the fish should be a healthy 30-35cm. Whith gold spot plecos the size won't get much bigger but with commons and sailfins they should at least double that size to be full size.
As for having 2 in a 50G, the first 12 or so months should be fine but after that they will begin to get too big and also much more territorial towards eachother.
Adding bn to the tank now will be fine but when the plecos start to get bigger feeding time becomes more difficult for the smaller bn.
Hope that helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm

You may find it easier to rehome the Sailfins while they are still small. LFS may take young fish but are usually reluctant to take larger specimens. Sadly a lot of these fish are bought on a whim and buyers are not told by some LFS how big they can grow, resulting in a lot becomeing unwanted when they grow to big.
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 pm

keeping them in a tank that is to small for a year or so is ok but after that its very very bad for the fish as they might get stunted witch is VERY bad for the fish and will cause an early death. You see as the fish stunts there body won't grow but all there internal organs will continue to grow to normal size. Causeing pain and early death for the fish.

Silvashadow your statement is very misinformed. I'm sorry but your doing as great disservice to the hobby saying "Generally plecos grow to the size their tank will allow them to be, so they may not actually get giant." I hate being so blunt about this as I used to think the same thing not knowing the truth about stunting til I did more reading and discovered how wrong this statment is. If you had a greatdane you wouldn't keep him in a closet.Even if it were for a few months til he grew up. As it would be cruel to the dog..fish are no different than dogs when "we" choose to keep them as our pets

after a fish is full grown its ok to keep them in a smaller tank IE for breeding ect. thou i still wouldn't myself but many breeders do. As they can't be stunted and will not hurt them.They might not like the smaller quarters it won't harm the fish physically.
there is lots of misinformation on this subject all over fish forums and I have read most of them..If you want to read more about it..find a ichthyology site to read more about there findings not these type forums as they are very helpful, most sites use allot of hearsay and no Scientific proof behind there claims.

please don't take this personal as I just want to inform and not just say your wrong...its important for all us and our fishy friends Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotted Sailfin Pleco.   Spotted Sailfin Pleco. Empty

Back to top Go down

Spotted Sailfin Pleco.
Page 1 of 1