Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

dealing with a massive amonnia spike Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

dealing with a massive amonnia spike Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

dealing with a massive amonnia spike

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

dealing with a massive amonnia spike Empty
PostSubject: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:18 am

dealing with a massice ammonia spike:

so here it is, i added an external filter to my tank, i was running the juwel standard internal bio box and a fluval u3,

i took the u3 out and used the sponges in a tray in the external filter,

14 hrs later......

massive ammonia spike,

so...

i did a 50% water change and gave the tank a good clean, i originaly had noticed the pleco's swimming to the top, taking air and diving back down, they have since stopped this but a couple of them are still around the bottem breathing really franticly....

its been about 5/6 hrs since the water change and i am still showing signs of ammonia, so goig to do another 30 ish% water change,

barring this,

anyone got any helpful advice to offer.......

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 7:33 am

DONT DO THE EXTRA CHANGE!!!! pale

All you will do is freak out the fish and prolong the issue. Ammonia spikes caused by changing filters are almost un-avoidable. Dose the tank with some prime and let the filter ride it out. Make sure that there is plenty of O2 in the water too otherwise the fish will get slammed on 2 fronts.

excessive water changes will cause the tank to stay in a state of cycling and unless you want to go down the road of discus breeders and do 50% daily just ride it out.
Back to top Go down
davew
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
davew

Number of posts : 172
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-07-26

PostSubject: Re: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 8:57 am

thanks doug......

i already made the call last night not to do another one.....

i added in some more mature filter sponges from another filter.....

the levels have come down to about 0.2 amonnia and trace nitrite bit it all was a little to much for my breeding male pep Sad

RIP chunky monkey looks like the xmas pic was his last photo...

i'm really annoyed with myself for this but have learn't a very valuable less.......... when setting up an external or new filter don't just through the old filter media in and think it will be ok !!!!!! run it side by side for a while !!!!

as an update, the tank it was in had 2m and 3f l181 adults and about 12 fry, 120l tank running the juwel bio filter and a fluval u3, there is now only the resesive male and the 3 females left..funny enough all the fry where ok too ... ?

maybe just a little to much stress to go on top for the male....Sad...the other male had been competing for the gravid females but they had always chose the other....now might be his time...

slightly sad on this xmas day......

Dave
Back to top Go down
bristlenoseblundell
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : keeping Tropical fish, Fishing.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi davew

Very sorry to hear of your loss davew unfortunately it does happen just when you think your have a spurt of good fotune and luck and everything is going right and fish are getting with it....things like this happens, it happened to me with my new tank and lost 4 of my adult bn.

Things will be back to normal soon mate.

rest in peace
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss Dave dealing with a massive amonnia spike 484291715 , it's hard way to learn a lesson but hopefully this post will help and prevent other people when thinking of doing something similar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dealing with a massive amonnia spike   dealing with a massive amonnia spike Empty

Back to top Go down

dealing with a massive amonnia spike
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: Tank/Water/Filters-
Jump to: