Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

new, used fish tank! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

new, used fish tank! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new, used fish tank!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Carolan

Female Number of posts : 123
Job/hobbies : plant mom
Humor : definitely!!!!
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-13

new, used fish tank! Empty
PostSubject: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello everyone, I have just acquired a new to us but used fish tank-60G cheers ?-at least they said I will see when I fill it but I am wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to clean it properly-to avoid diseases or containments or if anyone has used bleach which kills everything, or a vinegar solution? Really what has worked for everyone and what is the best methods to use and steps to follow? Thank you in advance, any advice would be helpful and very much appreciated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:47 am

get yourself some bleach and a sponge and give the inside a going over with a 1:10 solution. then, do it again just to be safe.

Then rince the pants off it. i do this outside so i can just tip the water onto the lawn. rince it at least 3 times.

Then fill and set up, leave for about a month to cycle, doing weekly water changes, and then add fish and you are done.
Back to top Go down
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Carolan

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks Doug! That helps out a lot. Was going to use mild bleach solution, but wanted to make sure it was recommended. Also was wondering about those solution that say they have all the beneficial bacteria-I once had a small sample bottle but never used it for setting up a new tank, just used it for a water change. To be honest I do not know how real the claim is that they establish the biological environment- just instantly, but what do you think? or anyone else, any ideas are welcomed.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 11:06 am

if you clean it with bleach a good way to get rid of the bleach is to use a decent enough amount of seachem prime to rinse and wash after youve given the tank a good rinsing from the bleach. Iv also heard of vinegar before but from what iv heard bleach is the best
Back to top Go down
Alasse
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 182
Job/hobbies : Cleaner ~ Photography/Gardening/Pets
Humor : Yep i have one
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 11:56 am

I use vinegar, works excellent. A far more natural approach is for, i'm not big on putting chemicals of any kind in my tank if i can help it. Bonus with vinegar is as you are disinfecting the inside of the tank, you can also use it to remove hard water deposits and many water marks, kill two birds with one stone. Then rinse rinse rinse
I am about to do 3 second hand tanks out. The vinegar will bring them back to near new.

Leaving the tank for a month wont cycle it, you will need to add an ammonia source to get the cycle started Smile
Back to top Go down
Carolan
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Carolan

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!    new, used fish tank! EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks everybody, I used a 1:10 part bleach solution as Doug suggested, because the tank came with a big bottle among the accessories of malachite green, so I assume they didn't say but had a one point fought Ich or some other parasite, don't want to battle Ich for sure or any other critters! Laughing Cleaned it well, rinsed with a spray hose like Doug suggested outside and used a large amount of Prime like kfenk suggested to ensure the bleach would clear. Have been testing the water and all parameters are almost zero except the ammonia and nitrate each are slightly higher than 0ppm but lower than, 0.25 and 5.0 respectively. have seeded the Bio filters with good bacteria from my other tanks and am waiting and testing. Thanks everyone it has helped out a lot, just really don't want anything hurting my Bn's and the -Goldies- that are on the very mature age end!!!
Everyone is in their own tank waiting for the cycle to be complete, it's funny the Goldies spend so much time looking at the tank-I wonder what they're thinking lol!
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm

I'd be cautious of using bleach , a friend has used this method and ended up with the bleach eating away at the silicone and creating leaks in the tanks. scratch

cheers J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new, used fish tank!   new, used fish tank! Empty

Back to top Go down

new, used fish tank!
Page 1 of 1