Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

ok well i got a good deal Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

ok well i got a good deal Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ok well i got a good deal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

ok well i got a good deal Empty
PostSubject: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 pm

ok check this out. i got a dude i can buy 6 55 gallon barrels from. they had rubbing alcohol in them.

will these be safe to put water in for my fish tank?

or did the plastic absorb some stuff i shouldnt use in my tank ?

Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 pm

While it might be safe ,I personally would not feel comforatable using something like that unless it sat outside for a few years exposed to the elements leaching out any toxins that could be in the plastic.

The lfs where I worked had a large garbage pail that sat on a piece with wheels (available at any home depot) Had a small pump in it and a heater. At least you know that would be safe.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 pm

if it can house rubbing alcohol then it should be food safe and that is the key here. if it is food safe, then it is fish safe.

I would be cleaning it a few times though. I would fill it with the hottest water i could and draining it a few times then filling it and leaving it for a few days then drain it. should be right then, and the worst that will happen is your fish might get a bit tipsy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Down2Earth
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 203
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-18

PostSubject: Re: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

well thanks. i think this will be fine. im going to link them together and cycle some water through them.
Back to top Go down
Aleishoo
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Aleishoo

Female Number of posts : 93
Job/hobbies : Painting, landscaping, photography
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Hope it works for you

Here's a bit of interesting reading
Scrub well !

Toxicology

Isopropyl alcohol and its metabolite, acetone, act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended. Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.[14] However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol. Isopropyl alcohol does not cause an anion gap acidosis (in which as lowered blood serum pH causes depletion of bicarbonate anion) unlike ethanol and methanol. Isopropyl alcohol does however, produce an osmolal gap between the calculated and measured osmolalities of serum, as do the other alcohols. Overdoses may cause a fruity odor on the breath as a result of its metabolism to acetone, which is further metabolized to produce the nutrients acetate and glucose.[15] Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized to form acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver.[/b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok well i got a good deal   ok well i got a good deal Empty

Back to top Go down

ok well i got a good deal
Page 1 of 1