Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My first ever African cichlid breeding experience

Go down 
+4
cody.sheridan-2008
jim.and
Doug
kfenk
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Empty
PostSubject: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 am

Today when feeding my fish I seen one female maingano going for the food but not eating. After closer inspection I noticed she had a mouthful of eggs already! I'm so happy but I'm not really sure what should do now... I'd like to have little maingano fry but I don't want to strip them or anything. I think I'll just let nature take it's course Smile
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm

nice one bro!!

i know where you might be able to sell some fry Smile
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm

The eggs should be safe untill they develop but I think the fry care only lasts a few days after she starts releasing them.
Back to top Go down
cody.sheridan-2008
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 29
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:15 pm

The fry won't make it in the tank with all the others. I would strip them from her after a little while. Alternatively pop her in a separate tank until she spits. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Very unlikely they would make it in your tank without your help. I always put my female in a different tank till release then feed her up till she has the strength to spawn again, as once they start males can starve a female if you don't have the proper numbers of males to females
Back to top Go down
Ben M
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Male Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : Fish keeping, MTBing, running, cycling, fell running, climbing.
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I normally get a few fry that survive each spawn if I let the female spit in the main tank, but it will depend upon how many hiding places there are in your tank. However, if you want a lot to survive, then it'd be best to either put the female in a separate tank until she spits, or strip her (usually about 16-18 days after they spawned).
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 am

It seems my africans are loving theyre tank. Have most of the female mainganos holding and also all my peacock females lol. Im not sure there are any surviving fry in the tank as the black calvus is always hunting through all the rock crevices lol
Back to top Go down
KYANGELSNCORYS
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
KYANGELSNCORYS

Male Number of posts : 187
Job/hobbies : BASS/CRAPPIE FISHING-TROPICAL FISH
Humor : MY KIDS TELL ME IM OLDER THEN DIRT
Thank You Points : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: another tank   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 3:06 pm

i breed 14 diff africans along with my BN and i ALWAYS put the female in another tank or i strip her , that way most of the fry has a chance to make it and i have more to sell My first ever African cichlid breeding experience 270216483
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 3:30 am

Finally! After months of just leaving the females in the main tank I recently put 2 holding females (separated of course) in a small fry tank. As of today female 1 has spit her fry Very Happy All the fry are hiding at the moment from the other female (she can't hurt em ay? She's got a mouthful as it is...) I counted about 5 fry all close to 1cm long. Surprised how much these girls can fit in their mouths scratch
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 am

Oh I forgot to add the female that spit the fry is in a fry saver box in the fry tank. I put her in there because I knew she had been holding longer. Figured I'd let her spit the fry out and tge other female wouldn't be able to eat them due to her mouthful. Any comments on this?
Back to top Go down
dlj76us
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 30
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-12

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 am

it's not that the 2nd female holding will eat the fry in all probablility she will think that they are fry of hers and try to scoop them up to keep them safe. I used to have yellow labs that would do that. Gratz on the little ones.

DLJ
Back to top Go down
mpfsr
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mpfsr

Male Number of posts : 98
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 am

They will be very hungry so feed them up before you return the females to the main tank and remember, When you return them might have to rearrange the tank as they will be viewed as intruders sometime when re adding to the main tank..
I have some Tangerine peacocks that I watch the holding female drop her brood at feeding time gobble some food down then re approached the fry opened her mouth and they swam back in her mouth. Very smart girl she is!!
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Iv been watching the fry now they have the tank to themselves. It seems they have setup their own little territories. The fry are just as bad as the parents lol
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 am

well the maingano fry are growing nicely and are over 2cm now

one of the smaller ones...
My first ever African cichlid breeding experience 560976_4242504833882_512544674_n

and low and behold.... my black calvus have bred!!!!!!!!!! yay cheers problem is they have bred in a hole in a large piece of rock making taking the fry out when its time almost impossible Sad spewing as i actually put shells in the tank for them to breed in

mum fanning
My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Mumcalvusfanning

dad joins in
My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Mumdadcalvusfanning

nosey wanted to get in the shot (pffft calvus never want me to take pics of em any other time Mad )
My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Noseycalvus

so i made use of the opportunity and took another happy snap of it Laughing
My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Photogeniccalvus
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first ever African cichlid breeding experience   My first ever African cichlid breeding experience Empty

Back to top Go down

My first ever African cichlid breeding experience
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Tropical's and Marine Section :: Freshwater Talk-
Jump to: