Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eggs in my new tank!

Go down 
+3
Bristlenoses
Doug
Kaenon
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 28
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Well, I have the 2 elongatus cichlid fry swimming about, along with a few BN wrigglers (about 30-40 in the cave still).

Then today, I stripped my holding peacock cichlid and I now have about 15-20 peacock cichlid fry about the tank as well.

It got busy in a hurry!
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Kaenon wrote:
Well, I have the 2 elongatus cichlid fry swimming about, along with a few BN wrigglers (about 30-40 in the cave still).

Then today, I stripped my holding peacock cichlid and I now have about 15-20 peacock cichlid fry about the tank as well.

It got busy in a hurry!

"IT NEVER RAINS......" Shocked

I feel your pain Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 1650918589 spawning is contagious- everybody seems to go at once!

Fortunately baby BN are relatively easy, fresh veg and a wafer now and then- no live foods needed. What about your cichlid fry? What do they eat? I do feed my baby BN small amounts of live bbs since I always have it and I feel it's probably closer to the small organisms they would consume with their algae grazing than other protein foods.
If you are feeding bbs or other live to the cichlids, I would just make sure to siphon out the bottom of any excess so your BN don't have access to large quantities.

Congrats Kaenon! Would love to see more pics of both fry. Sarah Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 1514952399
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:48 am

So the BN fry have been with my peacock cichlid fry and 2 elongatus fry for some time now.

Today I bought 4 yellow lab cichlids and 4 rusty cichlids (both pretty docile breeds, relatively speaking), and they were 1.5" in length. I am planning on transforming my main tank into a 3-4 species tank and with the new 8 cichlids being so small, I figured I would just keep them in the fry tank overnight until I could sell back 80% of the fish from my main tank (because I was worried about the new little ones getting picked on in the main tank).

Not a good idea. I lost about half my BN fry in a few hours and 3 of the 25 peacock cichlids. Terrible... I was mad. I couldn't believe that would have happened in a mere few hours.

Also, my 2 BN haven't spawned in my main tank since the last batch.. any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:31 am

yeah, cichlids are like that. I never recommend putting them in with fry.

They might not feel safe to breed again or maybe they are not feeling the triggers.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Oh dear that isn't good,i hope you have taken them out.Sorry to hear what happened,thankfully they havn't eaten the lot.Your bristlenoses would be better in a tank of their own really if you intend breeding or at least with safe fish and with proper caves.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Bristlenoses wrote:
Oh dear that isn't good,i hope you have taken them out.Sorry to hear what happened,thankfully they havn't eaten the lot.Your bristlenoses would be better in a tank of their own really if you intend breeding or at least with safe fish and with proper caves.

Bristlenoses Very Happy

I watched a movie and after that I looked at the fry tank and I saw many of them dead and I immediately took our the juvy 4 yellow labs and 4 rustys and put them into the main tank. I still have a good amount of BN left, but it is still bothersome.

The juvy cichlids weren't very big either so I thought it was going to be okay for just one night, guess not.
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Kaenon wrote:
Bristlenoses wrote:

Bristlenoses Very Happy

I watched a movie and after that I looked at the fry tank and I saw many of them dead and I immediately took our the juvy 4 yellow labs and 4 rustys and put them into the main tank. I still have a good amount of BN left, but it is still bothersome.

The juvy cichlids weren't very big either so I thought it was going to be okay for just one night, guess not.

Yes, it's surprising how vulnerable baby BN are. Even dime size baby angelfish will try to eat them, killing them in the process. Guppies will do the same. Baby BN seem somewhat oblivious to the danger larger fish pose and don't really try to avoid them, possibly because they're accustomed to being around adult BN that don't bother them, or because normally they would blend in with their surroundings and don't tend to flee.
Sorry you lost some, but glad you caught it before they were all gone. As Bristlenoses says, it's easier to breed them in a tank of their own, there are very few fish that can be trusted around the fry.
Sarah
Back to top Go down
Kaenon
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 am

Good news, finally had the third spawn of BN eggs last night. I was getting worries that nothing had been happening since the last move.

All is well =)
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 am

Kaenon wrote:
Good news, finally had the third spawn of BN eggs last night. I was getting worries that nothing had been happening since the last move.

All is well =)

cheers

Nice to hear!
Sarah
Back to top Go down
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow Kaenon you've had quite the interesting set of events with your bns :P
Congrats on your new batch mate. Hopefully all goes well this time. Do you have any current photos of the tank your bns are in? We can offer advice if we can get an idea of the current arrangement and hopefully improve the survival chances of your new batch. How many do you reckon you've got in the cave? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eggs in my new tank!   Eggs in my new tank! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eggs in my new tank!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3