Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

DIY - Driftwood Cave Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

DIY - Driftwood Cave Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY - Driftwood Cave

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Guppy Luvva
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Guppy Luvva

Female Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Paramedic / Horse Riding
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2013-02-14

DIY - Driftwood Cave Empty
PostSubject: DIY - Driftwood Cave   DIY - Driftwood Cave EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am

I read everywhere BN's need driftwood AND breeding caves - so I thought why not combine the two!
This has probably been done many times, but I'm not finding much on web and thought I'd share... BN Daddy enjoys it so much I cannot take it from the tank without him (just as well they can do without water for quite awhile!) On that subject, does anyone know how long is safe?

I picked "just the right" piece of Mopani (personal choice), with adaption in mind.
I used my skill saw to roughly carve out the underneath, drill (up to the largest bit I had) and a dremel high speed cutter to get the cave wider & finish it off nicely. Just watch going too deep with drill bit (you can see my rookie mistake in 1st photo) Certainly didn't take them long to start using it, have wrigglers and she not stopping!!! DIY - Driftwood Cave M3vcvw4t.yw4
DIY - Driftwood Cave Hlkftctf.x2z
Last pic is of my young male and his seperate cave DIY - Driftwood Cave Gwyranma.ovb
Back to top Go down
Sarahdd
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Sarahdd

Female Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Breeding DD, Koi, Blue & wild blood Angelfish, Purple Moscow Guppies, & BN. Catering to 3 cats, 1 dog, & 1 husband.
Humor : Messing with the dog and the husband- the cats are on to me.
Thank You Points : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: DIY - Driftwood Cave   DIY - Driftwood Cave EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Cool!
Yes, I did the same thing with a large piece of mopani, it was a lot of work with only a drill to work with (Mopani is some hard DIY - Driftwood Cave 3317116823 wood/ BTW I also keep Malaysian wood in with them for that very reason, I don't know if they can rasp off as much of the Mopani as they need).

Anyway, one of my males did raise one spawn in my labor of love, but once I put the 1" x 7" terra-cotta caves in, it was "sorry mom, we like store bought!" DIY - Driftwood Cave 1899675697 The babies do hang out in my home made cave though...

How are the gups? You mentioned only being able to import Asian, have you tried/can you get from ATFG? He has the best of the best, (and priced accordingly Shocked ) but I have no regrets spending the money to get some initial breeding stock from him, along with some from a USA breeder.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Guppy Luvva
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
Guppy Luvva

Female Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : Paramedic / Horse Riding
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: DIY - Driftwood Cave   DIY - Driftwood Cave EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I've spent hours trying to find who actually imports (quarantine is unbelievably strict here) but seems to be closely guarded secret DIY - Driftwood Cave 484291715
I think all our stock comes from China, there is the odd nice one but not anything "WOW". So tempted to smuggle right now... Embarassed

Thanks for the tip about Malaysian wood, I will look at adding some soon. But I definately prefer the natural look so wont be buying caves, she has spawned twice already (thought she was too young yet) and getting bigger again! After spending time here, I now want to look at Long Finned's, oh my these are addictive...!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY - Driftwood Cave   DIY - Driftwood Cave Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY - Driftwood Cave
Page 1 of 1