Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
suks1
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 27
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-07-31

orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. Empty
PostSubject: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 3:39 am

Hi,

I have a 200 lt tank that is 100 cm x 46 cm floor size. In it I have plants, driftwood (two medium sized bits) a breeding cave, and a couple of other hidey holes.

We have a 7 cm male in there, been there for a year. Yesterday we got an albino female of about the same size who seems to have settled in ok, not much movement but nothing I'm concerned about.

Our male though is spending all his time in the breeding cave and isn't even popping out to munch on his cucumber. Before the female was added he was a pretty sociable fish, normally on show or eating. I know the female has only been in there for 24 hours so should I just hope that this is phase and that he will start acting normal soon? Is it normal for them to kind of chuck a strop like this???

Any advice welcome, the bn is the star of our tank and much loved my the kids!

Cheers

Suks
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 7:23 am

Either he knows there is a female in the tank now and is trying to get her attention so the can breed. Or they already have bred and he's in his cave fanning eggs.
Back to top Go down
suks1
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 8:42 am

Ooh, he's not stropping then, just trying to get her attention. Have seen him out a couple of times eating as popped the cucumber near his cave and he has ventured onto the log nearby. Doubt there would be eggs as she didn't look very fat and has only been in the tank 24 hours!
Shame we lose our outgoing boy for a while.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 11:53 am

The males are like that. When they want to breed (which is most of the time lol) they will stay in the cave. No need to worry he won't starve himself cheers
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I agree with kfenk on this issue.

What does strop/stropping mean!?
Back to top Go down
suks1
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Ha, it means that they are like a teenager falling out with their parents and storming off to their room.... do you get the idea? Smile I thought he was doing that because of sharing territory or something... and yes, I probably do analyse things too much! Smile

Anyway, he is still in the cave the female was in there ealier too....fingers crossed but didn't think it would happen this quickly. On a positive note they were sat close together him in the cave and her beside it so think all will be well even if there is no eggs. Love these fish and so babies would just be a bonus.

Thanks for your reply!

Suks
Back to top Go down
suks1
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm

kfenk, they sound as bad as male guppies when it comes to wanting to breed!

Glad he won't starve himself, he does like his food this one!

Thanks,

Suks
Back to top Go down
fishlady
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
fishlady

Female Number of posts : 170
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:17 pm

my males stays in the cave most of the time for 3 mouth i did not see him then one day there he was after 2 new females were added
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptySun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm

he will be eating, just most likely at night when everyone else is asleep
Back to top Go down
suks1
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks, he has been out eating today a bit more, but still spends quite a bit of time in the cave. She also ate some zucchini today which is good as she didn't eat yesterday but was suckering around on the glass, dw and plants.

The female has been in the cave twice that we have seen so far, and she seems to like hanging out near his cave, so even if no babies at least they are getting along well Smile
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Gotcha! Thanks for explaining, lol.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm

just one thing to remember when we thing about bristlenose eating...when they are sucking on glass, plants, rocks etc they are eating. they are eating the slime coat that builds up naturally in the aquarium.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.   orignal bn acting odd since adding new one. Empty

Back to top Go down

orignal bn acting odd since adding new one.
Page 1 of 1